Numerous buildings are said to have been destroyed across central Italy after a magnitude 6.6 earthquake, followed by aftershocks, rocked the peninsula on Sunday morning. No deaths have been reported, but Civil Protection says a number of people have been injured.
Initial reports on the magnitude of the tremors varied – while USGS and Italian media first talked of a 7.1 earthquake, the European-Mediterranean Seismological Center (EMSC) said the tremor was magnitude 6.5 or 6.6.
Italy Civil Protection reported buildings collapsing in a number of locations following the tremors.
“No deaths have been reported, but there are a number of people injured,” Civil Protection chief Fabrizio Curcio told a news conference, as cited by Reuters, adding that at least one person was in serious condition.
Building collapses after powerful earthquake hits central Italy https://t.co/KGm7OVZHu5pic.twitter.com/q4xHu3aZYP
— Ruptly (@Ruptly) October 30, 2016
Curcio added that 15,000 people had been left without electricity or drinking water, while roads were severely damaged, leaving access only to emergency vehicles. In addition, thousands of homes have been destroyed and people forced to seek shelter.
“There are between 10,000 and 100,000 people who will need to be assisted,” said Luca Ceriscioli, the president of the Marche region, adding that if the seismic activity does not stop, “you are likely to get to 100 thousand displaced people.”