THE TRUTH ABOUT JACK HYLES
Beware of the Wolves in Sheepskin The Snakes that Run Our Churches Exposed The Truth about the Jack Hyles Pastor Army
There are 55 individual eyewitness testimonies to confirm the following allegations below: Most of the witnesses were members of FBCH and/or HAC graduates or former students. 2 of them were close family members of Jack Hyles (a daughter and daughter in-law) . 1 of them was a close friend of Jack Hyles and Jack Schaap. 1 was the daughter of Jack Hyles alleged mistress. And 5 of these witnesses include video evidence. Based on all these 55 witnesses, there are 13 serious accusations against Jack Hyles and FBCH (as well as Jack Schaap), and based on the evidence, prove that he was a false prophet and cult leader that no IFB church should support or be associated with, and he should even be exposed and rebuked from every IFB church pulpit, in order to biblically warn every congregation about this wolf in sheep’s clothing. Here are the 13 serious accusations that I individually explore in much detail later on.
1. Jack Hyles was a very prideful man who elevated himself constantly before his followers. His followers idolized and worshiped him.
2. Jack Hyles believed and preached that if someone is accused of sin, you don’t listen to it, you don’t believe it, and you don’t talk about it.
3. Jack Hyles covered up the gross immorality, adulteries, and perversions of his son, Dave Hyles, for years. He lied for him and placed him in leadership and pastoral positions at his and other churches, even when he knew of his son’s wickedness.
4. Jack Hyles covered up immoral sins in his own church and the sins of many pastors in IFB churches, and put pastors who had committed adultery back in the pulpit.
5. Jack Hyles taught that children were to be severely punished if they were disobedient. As a result of his influence, many children have been severely abused by their parents and wives have been abused by their husbands.
6. IFB Churches (at least 63 of them) around the country have had indicted child molesters, child abusers, and sexual predators in their pulpits, and in church leadership and staff positions. Many of them are connected to Hyles. Many of these churches are covering up thesins of these perverts.
7. Based on all the eyewitness testimony, Jack Hyles had an affair with his secretary, Jennie Nischik, which lasted for at least a couple decades.
8. Jack Hyles was a hypocrite and a habitual liar. He acted completely contrary to what he preached.
9. Jack Hyles’ philosophy on how families should put “ministry” first before caring for their spouse and children, eventually destroyed many families.
10. Jack Hyles’ method of soul-winning, with his view of repentance and “quick prayerism,” was fraudulent and damaging to the cause of Christ.
11. Jack Hyles taught many false doctrines, many which belittled sin.
12. Many eyewitnesses and former loyal followers believe that FBCH/HAC is a cult and that Jack Hyles was a cult leader.
13. Jack Schaap continued the corrupt legacy of Jack Hyles. He sexualized his sermons and biblical illustrations, preached false doctrine, and seduced a 16-year-old girl by using his spiritual authority to prey on her blind loyalty.
You might be thinking, “even if all these allegations are true, which I believe are not true, why would this matter anyway. Jack Hyles has been dead since 2001. Jack Schaap is in prison. FBCH is under new leadership. Why are you trying to kick these men down when Hyles is dead and Schaap is paying for his crime.”
The reason is simple, 1000s of pastors and leadership around the country have been trained by Hyles as well as Schaap. Pastor John Wilkerson has not trained the vast majority of pastors, leaders, and HAC graduates. It is primarily Hyles that has influenced many of them and they have been spread around the country in multitudes of IFB churches. Many IFB churches have even modeled their church after FBCH. Even if Wilkerson is a good guy, and I’m not accusing him of wrongdoing, the damage that Hyles (and Schaap) have done and continue to do through their past influence is immense and has simply not gone away, even with the change in FBCH leadership. As I will explore in detail, there have been a multitude of lies, coverups, false teachings, idolatry, fraudulent soul winning, hypocrisy, etc, that many elders, deacons, staff members, and members are refusing to acknowledge at FBCH. They are part of the cover-ups because the leadership (elders, deacons, staff) in particular have heard accusation after accusation over the years and did nothing about it. They didn’t investigate it, they did not question Hyles, but have remained blindly loyal to him, even after his death.
Having John Wilkerson as a replacement is like putting a small Band-Aid on a massive head wound. The leadership refuses to expose Hyles for who he really was. They have not purged out the old leaven so that they can be a new lump. They have not dethroned Hyles from their hearts and repented of their idolatry. They have not exposed all the cover-ups and lies that they willfully ignored and did nothing about, they have not removed Hyles’ books from their schools and library, nor have they taken down the mural and statue of he and his wife. They have not exposed him before ALL IFB churches, just as the Apostle Paul would have done. They will never be a new lump until they admit responsibility of exalting a false prophet. They have to purge out the old leaven completely before they can be right with God. And all Hyles’ affiliated IFB churches need to expose him before their congregations. THIS IS WHAT PAUL WOULD HAVE DONE, so why would any pastor refuse to do this? They first have to be willing to investigate it with a willing spirit, reproved him publicly, and then cut all ties with FBCH/HAC, until First Baptist becomes a new lump. I would highly encourage you to listen to a sermon preached in 1989 by Pastor Roger Voegtlin of Fairhaven Baptist Church. He spent years being quiet about this issue while remaining loyal to Hyles, until he finally got the courage to preach a 2 hour sermon publically exposing Hyles. I would consider this a good model of public rebuke for any IFB church to imitate. Here is the link: http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=7100392416
So to continue, here is an examination of the eyewitnesses, which I have personally read and researched, providing overwhelming evidence to all these allegations.
55 INDIVIDUAL EYEWITNESSES TESTIFY TO THE TRUTH OF THESE ALLEGATIONS.
EYEWITNESS #1: VOYLE A. GLOVER: “FUNDAMENTAL SEDUCTION: THE JACK HYLES CASE”
– He and his wife were loyal members of First Baptist Church of Hammond for 20 years. He taught in the Pathfinders Department, the church’s ministry to the retarded. He is a private attorney and Deputy Prosecutor for the State of Indiana.
– After many years of hearing accusations by many witnesses in FBCH and being an eyewitness himself to what went on, he decided to research and investigate so much of the apparent corruption that went on at FBCH under Hyles, and as an attorney trained to scrutinize the evidence, he found the accusations about Hyles to be true. After leaving the church, he went on to write a 450 page book carefully detailing the eyewitness evidence and logically analyzing the accusations and sermons of Hyles.
– Even though I consider Glover to be one eyewitness, much of the book details the accounts by many witnesses from FBCH. I consider Voyle Glover’s testimony to be the backbone of much of the initial details that you will see at the beginning paragraphs of nearly every point I examine.
EYEWITNESS #2: JERRY D. KAIFETZ, PH. D. “PROFANED PULPIT: THE JACK SCHAAP STORY”
– He was a loyal member of FBCH, graduated from HAC and Hyles-Anderson Seminary and received a M.Th., a Master’s degree in Pastoral Theology. He was very close to both Jack Hyles and Jack Schaap and had a meaningful friendship with both of them.
– He decided to read Voyle Glover’s book, “Fundamental Seduction,” in order to disprove Glover so that he could defend his friend and pastor Jack Hyles. Kaifetz failed to disprove him, and found the evidence that Glover laid out was true and undeniable. When Jack Schaap found out that Kaifetz read Glover’s book, it completely ended their friendship.
– Kaifetz wrote a 187 page book called “Profaned Pulpit: The Jack Schaap Story.” In it he focuses more on his personal experiences with Jack Schaap, as well as the corruption that was going on under Hyles’ leadership.
EYEWITNESS #3: PASTOR ROGER VOEGTLIN OF FAIRHAVEN
BAPTIST CHURCH IN CHESTERTON, INDIANA Sermon: “Why I am not 100% for Hyles”
– He was a strong supporter of Hyles and FBCH for years and made sizable donations to HAC. But through the years he kept running into people who had been eyewitness of the corruption and immorality of Hyles and his son Dave. He consistently heard about and had members who witnessed the cover-ups and adulteries among deacons and staff members at FBCH. He testifies how Hyles was putting adulterous preachers back in the pulpit and even how he counseled a personal secretary of Hyles who witnessed Hyles’ affair with Jennie Vischik.
– For years Voegtlin kept silent about it, until he finally had the courage to speak out about Hyles and expose a lot of the corruption that was going on.
– He also quotes from many of Hyles’ sermons that he had personally collected showing many of the false doctrines of Hyles.
EYEWITNESS #4: LINDA “HYLES” MURPHREY, JACK HYLES DAUGHTER
Video Testimony – April 5, 2012
– She is the daughter of Jack Hyles who walked away from FBCH when she was 28 years old. She reveals some of the secrets of her childhood, her father’s relationship to her mom, her brother’s serial adulteries, and her father’s cover-ups, hypocrisy, and cultish mentality.
EYEWITNESS #5: PAULA “HYLES” POLONCO, DAVE HYLES’ FIRST WIFE
Dave Coleman’s Audio Interview – November 1, 1989
Part 1: http://www.jeriwho.net/audio/Paula01.mp3
Part 2: http://www.jeriwho.net/audio/Paula02.mp3
Part 3: http://www.jeriwho.net/audio/Paula03.mp3
Part 4: http://www.jeriwho.net/audio/Paula04.mp3
Also, Voyle Glover’s Book Interview with Paula in “Fundamental Seduction”
– She was the first wife of Dave Hyles. As a close witness of
Jack Hyles and Dave Hyles, she recounted the many experiences she had in the Hyles’ family and the many adulteries, perversions, and abuses of her ex-husband, from the years they were at FBCH to the years they lived in Texas.
– She talked about the many times she communicated personally with Jack Hyles about his son’s adulteries, and how he didn’t rebuke his son, but covered up his son’s sins, and even placed him in pastoral positions at other churches.
EYEWITNESS #6: JUDY NISCHIK JOHNSON, DAUGHTER OF VIC AND JENNIE NISCHIK. JENNIE IS THE FORMER WIFE OF VIC WHO WAS ALLEGED TO HAVE HAD AN ONGOING AFFAIR WITH JACK HYLES.
Voyle Glover’s Book Interview with Judy in “Fundamental Seduction”
– She recalled her many experiences of witnessing her mom having a close relationship with Jack Hyles that lasted for many years of her childhood and teenage years. She witnessed how intimate they were on the phone with each other and how much time they spent together alone.
– She also witnessed the control Jack Hyles had over every small detail of her families’ day-to-day lives.
EYEWITNESS #7: VIDEO NEWS INVESTIGATION “PREYING FROM THE PULPIT” (BY WJBK-TV, DETROIT, MI)
– A week-long news investigation into the scandals of FBCH and Hyles’ affiliated churches. It explores the controversies of both Hyles’ alleged affair with Jennie Nischik and the serial adulteries, perversions, and abuses of Dave Hyles. It explored the cultic nature of FBCH and many other things. Many witness are represented in this, including video and audio evidence of Hyles’ sermons that support the allegations as well as video evidence to expose Dave Hyles’ perversions.
EYEWITNESS #8: VIDEO EVIDENCE
Video: The Exaltation, Worship, and Pride of Hyles at his 70th Birthday.
– At Hyles 70th Birthday Party, the student body and other churches raised $70,000 for Jack Hyles to make a “Red Carpet Room” dedicated to him. They bring him a wheel barrow full of cash. Did the Apostle Paul receive this kind of treatment? (Starting at 1:13:10-1:16:30)
– Jack Hyles comes up to give his thank you’s in regards to what made him great after the student body screams that they want Jack Hyles to get at least 50 years of serving in FBCH. All of Hyles’ thank you’s are all people in his life, but not one of them is a thank you to the Lord. (Starting at 1:22:56-1:27:20)
EYEWITNESS #9: VIDEO EVIDENCE
Video: Hyles receives hero worship from the student body.
– This clip shows the type of hero worship Hyles receives from the student body. They cheer for him as if he is a rock star. No one should be glorifying a man like this. Only God should receive glory of this kind. (Starting at 7:04-7:41)
EYEWITNESS #10: VIDEO EVIDENCE
Video: Hyles boasting about what he owns, and his clear hypocrisy in the next clip.
– In one of his sermons, Jack Hyles was bragging that at 73 years old, he is starting a $4 million dollar building program, that he just bought a charismatic church, he just bought a hotel, he just bought a vacant lot, and is about to start 2 more schools. Yet in the next clip that follows this, you can hear him say in a promo video for HAC that they “barely pay the bills.” If they have so much money to buy all this property, why is he lying by saying that HAC barely pays the bills? This is a lie and it is hypocrisy. (Starting at 5:02-5:49)
EYEWITNESS #11: VIDEO EVIDENCE
Video: Hyles being idolized by college girls.
– In this clip, we see the college girls idolizing Hyles by singing a song to him saying, “We love you preacher, oh yes we do, we don’t love ANYONE as much as you…” (Starting at 1:53-3:05)
EYEWITNESSES #12-55: FOURTY-FOUR INDEPENDENT EYEWITNESSES TESTIFY ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH FBCH/HAC
Many witnesses of FBCH/HAC posted their testimonies at these links: http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/
Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-Seduction-Jack-Hyles-Case/product-reviews/0962853186/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8& showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending
Amazon Book Reviews: Profaned Pulpit http://www.amazon.com/Profaned-Pulpit-Schaap-Story-Volume/product-reviews/1479180297/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8& showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending
– I have found at least 44 independent witnesses who posted their testimonies online who are connected with FBCH/HAC. 21 of them were either former students or graduates from Hyles-Anderson College. 7 of them were only members or had attended FBCH. 1 of them graduated both HAC and its seminary. 1 was part of the bus ministry at FBCH. 1 of them grew up at FBCH and graduated from high school there. 2 were wives of loyal Hyles’ followers. 2 were children raised by Hyles’ followers. 1 person attended Pastor’s School. 2 of them knew people and friends who were FBCH members/HAC students. 1 was a member of Miller Road Baptist Church when Dave Hyles was pastor there. 1 was a personal body guard for Jack Hyles. 1 was a “convert” by soul-winners from FBCH. 3 are general witnesses of the Hyles’ philosophy and doctrine in other Hyles’ affiliated IFB churches.
– These eyewitnesses cover many different issues: 1) the cultic nature of FBCH/HAC, 2) Jack Hyles’ pridefulness and the worship he received from his followers, 3) the philosophy of blind loyally and to never question or accuse your leadership, 4) the hypocrisy of Jack Hyles, 5) the lack of spiritual growth at FBCH, 6) the abuse of children at FBCH, 7) Dave Hyles’ immorality, 8) Hyles’ philosophy of putting ministry before family, 9) Hyles’ fraudulent method of evangelism, and 10) Hyles’ cover-ups.
Now some people would look at this and give the response, “All these people are liars and are falsely accusing a man of God.” But I challenge you, what good reasons can you find to prove that these witnesses are liars? It’s not enough to say they are liars without any proof. If you are blinded by a bias for Hyles that compels you to want to ignore these witnesses by passing them off as liars without any proof, then you are not obeying the biblical command to “prove all things” and instead choosing to “answer a matter before you hear it.” Furthermore, even if someone was able to prove that 1 or 2 or even 3 of these witnesses were liars, you still have a whole lot of eyewitnesses to deal with. You would have to explain how the rest of them are liars too since they confirm the same details that the other ones recounted. Also, if you get many independent witnesses, who are all liars, to testify in court about one person who they say is guilty, you are going to get a lot of contradictions in their stories. You are going to get details that don’t agree with other witnesses. Yet I don’t see any contradictions with any of the witnesses. Each allegation confirms what others have said also. And when you have at least 55 independent testimonies all confirming the same thing, it would hold up in any just court. Biblically, out of the mouth of two or three witnesses a thing is established. Well there are 52 more witnesses added to the 3 that would already biblically establish an accusation. I believe this overwhelmingly justifies the allegations I present.
The following details listed below are the table of contents, providing an outline for what I have researched and explain in much more detail throughout the majority of this paper. This basically provides a shorter summery of what I will cover. All 13 allegations are listed with page numbers, so that if you want to explore any specific allegation in more detail, you will know were to turn to. With every allegation throughout the rest of this paper, you will also see detailed references and footnotes I used for each allegation, including eyewitnesses, page numbers, web links, etc., which confirm these details.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. JACK HYLES WAS A VERY PRIDEFUL MAN WHO CONSTANTLY ELEVATED HIMSELF BEFORE HIS FOLLOWERS.
– He was idolized and worshiped by his followers.
– He boasted about his greatness, accomplishments, and spiritual walk with God constantly.
– He believed he was the answer to the salvation of America.
– He preached that Fundamentalism and America’s IFB pastors would rise and fall because of him.
– He focused much more about himself in his sermons than he did on God.
– He would glorify himself through the many pictures he would distribute to people of himself and was honored with a room dedicated to him. There was a large mural and statue made of he and his wife.
– He would have the college girls sing songs to him that would idolize him.
– He taught that critical decisions could not be made without him.
– He had to control everything.
– As people elevated Jack Hyles in their minds by the stories he would tell about himself, lies, embellishments, and distortions were more easily accepted.
2. JACK HYLES BELIEVED AND PREACHED THAT IF SOMEONE IS ACCUSED OF SIN, YOU DON’T LISTEN TO IT, YOU DON’T BELIEVE IT, AND YOU DON’T TALK ABOUT IT.
– He did not believe any accusations unless he was an eyewitness or the accused admitted they were guilty,
– He refused to investigate accusations.
– This unbiblical philosophy that he preached became “almost a doctrine alongside of salvation.”
– He even preached that even if you were an eyewitness to a sin, such as adultery, even then, to believe that there was a plausible explanation for it.
– His “doctrine” permitted men and women guilty of sin to be able to get away with even great sins under his leadership.
– He taught that all forms of criticism and dissent towards himself was sinful, that nobody in his church (including all leadership), as well as any other IFB churches/pastors, could disagree with him.
– He taught his followers “Blind Loyalty,” and complete unquestioned obedience; to be 100% for Hyles.
– Fear, rejection, ostracization, and/or excommunication was used by Hyles for those who questioned, disagreed, or accused him or his family (his son) of wrongdoing.
– Hyles’ followers have been conditioned for many years not to listen to anything bad.
– This is the same way cults operate. They do not tolerate dissent and they have complete control when there is complete agreement.
3. JACK HYLES COVERED UP THE GROSS IMMORALITY, ADULTERIES, AND PERVERSIONS OF HIS SON DAVE HYLES. HE LIED FOR HIM AND PLACED HIM IN LEADERSHIP AND PASTORAL POSITIONS AT HIS AND OTHER CHURCHES, EVEN WHEN HE KNEW ABOUT HIS SON’S WICKEDNESS.
– Dave Hyles was a habitual fornicator through his teenage years and was an adulterer while he was married. His father knew he was a fornicator and adulterer, but still hired him on staff at FBCH and kept him on staff even with all the allegations of his adulteries.
– Jack Hyles sent his son Dave to his old church, Miller Road Baptist Church in Texas, to be a pastor there in order to cover-up his son’s serial adulteries at FBCH. Hyles did not warn Miller Road Baptist about his son’s adulteries, but sent him there with the risk that his son would destroy even more families and church members.
– Dave Hyles had over a dozen affairs while he was the pastor of Miller Road Baptist Church. He was ultimately caught because his briefcase was found by the janitor’s son in a dumpster. In it there were many pornographic/perverted pictures of Dave and other women in the church he was having affairs with.
– Jack Hyles continued to lie and cover up his son’s sins. He exercised no disciplinary action against his son. He sent him to pastor another church and continued in the pattern of not warning them about his son’s serial adulteries.
– Dave took a church member’s wife, Brenda Stevens, with him to Illinois, and was in a scandal regarding the violent abuse and death of her baby. Dave was also known to be violently abusive to his first wife and children in the past.
– Dave committed even more adulterous affairs than he did at Miller Road Baptist. Jack Hyles and FBCH gave him a standing ovation when he returned back to his father’s church, continuing the pattern of lying and covering up his son’s great sins.
– Dave was exposed at Pastor’s school in the early 90s by flyers that were handed out that showed an ad by Dave and Brenda in porn magazines for group sex with he and his wife. It showed Brenda in sexual poses in these ads. This was the only time that Jack Hyles briefly mentioned his son’s sinfulness from the pulpit. Yet no disciplinary actions were taken, and the cover-ups continued.
4. JACK HYLES COVERED UP IMMORAL SINS IN HIS OWN CHURCH AND THE SINS OF MANY PASTORS IN IFB CHURCHES, AND PUT PASTORS WHO COMMITTED ADULTERIES BACK IN THE PULPIT.
– Hyles went around the country trying to cover up for preachers who were guilty of adultery. Some pastors at that time confronted him on this issue, but received no response from Hyles.
– Some of Hyles’ deacons and staff were involved in adultery, but Hyles did nothing about it when the accusations came.
– Hyles used lies, fear, and bribes to keep things secret.
5. JACK HYLES TAUGHT THAT CHILDREN WERE TO BE SEVERELY PUNISHED IF THEY WERE DISOBEDIENT. AS A RESULT OF HIS INFLUENCE, MANY CHILDREN HAVE BEEN SEVERELY ABUSED BY CHURCH LEADERSHIP AND PARENTS. WIVES HAVE BEEN ABUSED AS WELL.
– Some IFB churches who prescribed to Hyles’ style of child discipline were caught in lawsuits as well as charges over what the leadership in their Baptist schools did in severely beating certain students. A pastor of an IFB church was accused of torturing a boy with a snake, and also doing damage to his genitals.
– Even though Hyles didn’t specifically go to the extreme of teaching the torture of children, some of the church leadership that followed him were influenced by his teachings on sever punishment and took it further. Each case was violent, extreme, excessive, and even shocking.
– Witnesses who grew up at FBCH/HAC have reported that their parents and many parents in that church were extremely abusive to them for many years.
– Jack Hyles provided legal representation for many of these abusive parents when they were turned into the Health Education and Welfare department. He would warn his congregation from the pulpit about how FBCH had become a “victim” of unfair persecution by the H.E.W.
– According to these witnesses, many HAC graduates and students living in the Hammond area are current wife and child abusers.
– Many other witnesses from FBCH recounted the violent abuse that they received from their fathers (Hyles’ followers) when they were children.
6. IFB CHURCHES AROUND THE COUNTRY HAVE CHILD MOLESTERS, CHILD ABUSERS, AND SEXUAL PREDATORS IN THEIR PULPITS, AND IN CHURCH LEADERSHIP AND STAFF POSITIONS. MANY OF THEM ARE CONNECTED TO HYLES. MANY OF THESE CHURCHES ARE COVERING UP THE SINS OF THESE PERVERTS.
– 75 individuals have been charged with crimes, mostly child molestation. 63 different Independent Fundamental Baptist churches around the country are connected to these alleged criminals.
– 39 of them were former pastors, 14 of them had important leadership positions in the church. 9 were employees of the church, 5 had counseling positions, 7 were only members, and 2 are family members of the pastor.
– 44 of these people were charged with molesting underage girls.
– 20 of them were charged with molesting underage boys.
– 8 of them were charged with violent acts of abuse.
– 7 of them were charged with different sexual predatory acts.
– 16 of them were allowed to continue working freely in their same position in the church during their probation or after their bond or allegations.
– 19 of them were either placed or kept in their positions at the church with at least some of the leadership having knowledge that this person was committing or had committed crimes, and they turned a blind eye to it.
– 29 of them were defended and/or supported by most members and leadership in their congregations without any church investigation into the matter.
– 34 of these churches and leadership didn’t defend or support the victims or their families.
– 7 of the churches blamed or held the victims responsible in some way.
– 3 of the churches had members that made threats against the victims. (2 of those 3 were from FBCH members under Hyles approval)
– 3 of those who witnessed the crime, or sought an investigation, or who were members of the church that were concerned about the allegations, were ostracized, removed, and/or blacklisted from the church.
– 4 of these criminals were honored by IFB Pastors and/or IFB organizations even after the allegations came out.
7. BASED ON ALL THE EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY, JACK HYLES HAD AN AFFAIR WITH HIS SECRETARY, JENNIE NISCHIK, WHICH LASTED FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE DECADES.
– Vic Nischik, (deacon of FBCH, leader of worship in Hyles’ Sunday School class, used at the alter for soul winning and the Lord’s supper, and was in Hyles’ inner circle), accused Jack Hyles for years about Hyles having an affair with his wife, Jennie Nischik. Hyles and the deacons refused to discuss it or listen to him.`
– Hyles allowed Vic and Jennie to live in a separated state for years, and even used his own money to make sure that they remained separated. Hyles gave many financial gifts to Jennie over the years, totaling up to at least $100,000 in order to give her financial independence from her husband.
– Hyles continued to allow Vic and Jennie to remain in their positions on staff for years, even though Jennie was living in a rebellious state against her husband, and even though Hyles accused Vic of having an affair with another woman at the time when the scandal broke out about Hyles and Jennie.
– There was a private door that connected between Hyles’ office and Jennie Nischik’s office where the two could come together secretly. Several staff members, even one extremely loyal staff member left because Hyles refused to discuss the issue.
– Hyles took Jennie and 3 other women on a Hawaiian vacation without Hyles’ wife, Jennie’s husband, or any male chaperon.
– One of Hyles’ other secretaries quit because she knew Hyles was having an affair.
– Hyles installed a personal private phone in Jennie’s bedroom. Her daughter was an eyewitness over the many years that Hyles and Jennie would have many lengthy, intimate conversations with each other, even with her mom intimately saying “I love you” at the end of each conversation.
– Hyles and Jennie would give each other secret car light signals as they arrived home. (Jennie lived very close to Hyles’ house.)
– Many staff members knew that Hyles and Jennie worked together privately on certain days of the week, and they would do this at Hyles’ request that they should not be disturbed.
– Hyles’ relationship with his wife was a distant one. Close eye-witnesses knew that they didn’t love each other or slept together. Hyles didn’t speak about her in any enduring way from the pulpit. Their distant relationship went on for at least 2 decades.
– Several IFB organizations, pastors, and staff members wrote to Hyles or confronted him asking him to give an answer to the allegations about him and Jennie. He never responded to them and refused to give any answers to them. An innocent man would go to great lengths to refute the allegations, but Hyles didn’t do this. Hyles did answer Robert Sumner, but ignored many specific allegations in his response.
8. JACK HYLES WAS A HYPOCRITE AND A LIAR. HE ACTED COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO WHAT HE PREACHED.
– Hyles boldly preached that he cared for the children at FBCH, yet greatly neglected the funding of his Christian schools, refusing to buy many important necessities. Yet he had enough money to afford lavish gifts for visitors, hold expensive parties, and to buy houses for the upper management staff.
– Hyles told FBCH how “open” and “transparent” he was in his handling of the money in the church, yet was very secretive and controlling about its income. No one knew about the income of FBCH or Hyles Publications, not even the deacons or the Treasurer of the deacons board.
– Hyles preached that he would never criticize another Bible-believer, yet he verbally attacked people who questioned or accused him of wrongdoing from the pulpit.
– Hyles would preach about being careful around the opposite sex so that there was not an appearance of evil, yet he did not follow that warning himself with Jennie Nischik.
– Hyles would preach about raising children right and that members could trust their children to him. He made people believe that his son Dave Hyles was raised right and great spiritually, yet his son was anything but spiritual, committing fornication and adulteries ever since he was a teenager.
– Hyles boasted about all the million dollar buildings he was able to buy from the pulpit, yet made people believe that they could “barely pay the bills” at Hyles-Anderson College in a promo video.
9. JACK HYLES’ PHILOSOPHY ON HOW FAMILIES SHOULD PUT “MINISTRY” FIRST BEFORE THEIR SPOUSE AND CHILDREN EVENTUALLY DESTROYED MANY FAMILIES.
– Hyles taught that wives and husbands should throw themselves into church ministry and soul-winning and put that as a priority before caring for their families.
– Hyles shared stories that motivated people to put the work of the Lord first, even if their families were sick or injured.
– It was taught by leaders in FBCH and by Hyles that if a wife had marriage problems, that going soul-winning would allow God to take her problems away.
– Men in the church and schools would practically abandon their wives and family because of this philosophy. They were taught to make sacrifices that would make them absent from their family, day and night, week after week. They would work and study on “ridiculous schedules.” And some would become physically ill because of the demands.
– Many women have ignored their responsibilities as a wife and mother and have hurt their families as a result.
– Marriages in FBCH would dissolve, and children, as they grew up, would move spiritually away from the Lord.
10. JACK HYLES’ METHOD OF SOUL-WINNING, WITH HIS VIEW OF REPENTANCE AND “QUICK PRAYERISM,” WAS FRAUDULENT AND DAMAGING TO THE CAUSE OF CHRIST.
– Hyles didn’t believe that repentance is necessary for salvation. He viewed repentance as the same as turning from unbelief to belief.
– Hyles taught “quick prayerism” manipulation to increase the number of souls ‘saved.’ It would focus on quick presentations and quick decisions to get people “saved.” It got multitudes to do a repeat-after-me type salvation prayer, then assuring them that they are heaven-bound without truly explaining the gospel carefully so that a lost person could understand what they were getting into. This sort of presentation typically replaces Holy Spirit conviction and miraculous regeneration.
– As a result of “quick prayerism,” the majority of souls reportedly saved would experience no life change, and had no interest in the things of Christ. The numbers of people that were baptized didn’t join the church or have any interest in being discipled. Evidence of a “new birth” or becoming a “new creature” was non-existent for most of these “converts.”
– Hyles would use fraudulent methods to increase the number of “souls saved.” Staff members were instructed by him to drive black kids down the alley behind the church, get them to repeat a prayer, and count them as “souls won on church property,” without letting them into church. They would baptize people who didn’t understand the gospel.
– Hyles would greatly boast about the number of “soul’s saved’ under his ministry. Thousands would be baptized on certain “Big Days,” but FBCH wouldn’t see the number of church attenders grow. Numbers were extremely important to Hyles and his soul-winning clubs and he and his leaders would place such a great emphasis on those numbers.
11. JACK HYLES TAUGHT MANY FALSE DOCTRINES, MANY WHICH BELITTLED SIN.
– Hyles would repeatedly say in many of his sermons, “Now this is something new, this is something that you’ve probably never heard before.” Only cults use this kind of language.
– Hyles talked about praying to his dead mother.
– Hyles believed his efforts would make it easier for his lost father who was in hell.
– Hyles preached that soul-winning covers all sins.
– Hyles taught the eternal humanity of Jesus, being human before the world was created, which is a Mormon doctrine.
– Hyles preached that God is helpless in doing his work without man.
– Hyles preached that man gained more than he lost because of sin, and thanked Adam for sin.
– Hyles preached that backsliding is a necessary part of spiritual growth.
– Hyles preached that the wicked backslider is no worse than the good backslider. One who is drunk or an adulterer is no different than one who is not reading his Bible.
– Hyles preached that as long as you have done many good acts for God, that you can get away with sins like adultery. If you are doing so much good for God, God has even more patience with you if you fall into sin.
– Hyles taught that men want to be loved by their wives just as a man loves and treats others. He called this “mental homosexuality.”
– During Pastor’s school in 1981, Hyles brought a young girl on the platform and preached a sermon on how a young girl’s body is like the holy temple, and talked about entering the holy temple. He is quoted as saying to this girl named Arlene, “Arlene, you’re very touchable to a young man… I can see why 100 young men want to touch her, couldn’t you” (asking the delegates).
12. MANY EYEWITNESSES BELIEVE THAT FBCH/HAC IS A CULT AND THAT JACK HYLES WAS A CULT LEADER.
– Jack Hyles was a great manipulator of people and exercised psychological crowd control on his church members.
– Members were in complete obedience to Jack Hyles and didn’t dare disagree with him for fear of being publicly ridiculed, punished, or banished. His followers were blindly loyal to him.
– Many of his followers were and are brainwashed and mind controlled and would believe everything that he preached.
– As a result, Hyles was responsible for an untold amount of spiritual damage to multitudes of people.
13. JACK SCHAAP CONTINUED THE CORRUPT LEGACY OF JACK HYLES. HE SEXUALIZED HIS SERMONS AND BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATIONS, PREACHED FALSE DOCTRINE, AND SEDUCED A 16-YEAR-OLD GIRL BY USING HIS SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY TO PREY ON HER BLIND LOYALTY.
– Schaap preached undying loyalty to his followers, that they should never criticize or question leadership.
– Schaap kept all the secrets of Jack Hyles and covered up Dave Hyles’ gross immorality.
– Schaap wanted to raise money to build an auditorium as a monument to himself. He even joked about prostituting his wife to raise the money for it.
– Schaap was vicious, demeaning, and mean to his subordinates, often humiliating them in front of peers.
– Schaap was often vulgar in his meetings.
– Schaap sexualized Bible teachings that never referred to anything sexual, even in their original language. He sexualized the Lord’s Supper, a Christian’s relationship to the Bible and their relationship to Jesus Christ.
– Schaap preached a sermon called “A Polished Shaft,” and literally masturbated with a stick of wood to illustrate his point, right from the pulpit for all to see.
– Schaap preached a sermon at the 2005 Reformers Unanimous Conference, Pastor’s school, as well as in his own book, that God hates the world and doesn’t want to reconcile with mankind. After Jesus tried to beg God to attempt a settlement between God and man, the Father agrees only for Jesus sake. When Jesus dies on the cross, he comes back to the Father and tells Him to send mankind to Hell after he sees how they treated him.
– Schaap seduced a 16-year-old girl by using his spiritual authority while preying on her blind loyalty. She was taught to always obey her pastor because he is God’s representative.
– When the 16-year-old girl asked Schaap if it was wrong what they were doing, he used Jesus Christ as a means to continue sleeping with her. He told her this was what Jesus wanted and that Christ wanted to marry them.
– Schaap even told her that their sexual relationship was part of her personal salvation.
– Instead of taking the blame for his actions as the older “more mature” spiritual leader, Schaap blamed the girl as well as his attorneys for his long jail sentence.
THE GREAT DANGERS OF HYLES’ PHILOSOPHY
Hyles’ philosophy/doctrine to never question leadership, to never hear or believe an accusation, and to never talk about it, has clearly caused great damage to countless people. Imagine if Hyles had immediately dealt with his son Dave biblically, kept him from being on staff to lead the youth department. Imagine him warning Paula, Dave’s first wife, about his son’s immorality before they got married, and rebuking him and bringing him before the church if he remained unrepentant. If Hyles had dealt with his son the right away, instead of lying about him, covering up his sin, and going so far as to send him to be a pastor in Texas, just how many destroyed marriages would have been prevented? How many families would have not been ruined as a result of these sins? How many people’s faith would not have been shaken because of this adulterous man being in leadership positions in more than one church? Do you see how dangerous this Hyles’ “doctrine” is? Without biblical church discipline and leadership doing their duty to investigate allegations and warning their members not to fellowship with anyone who calls themself a brother or sister who is living in unrepentant sin, they willfully are allowing sin to prosper in their church. And that leaven will leaven the whole church, as it has done in FBCH.
With Jack Hyles himself, I wonder how many families and church members were damaged when he put adulterous pastors back in the pulpit? How many families did he help ruin by teaching that ministry should come before the care of the family? How many children and wives were abused from the influence of Hyles’ and Schaap’s teachings on severe discipline and the treatment of wives? And how many souls have been given the false hope of heaven, when they were lead quickly through a short presentation of the gospel, prayed a prayer without understanding what they were doing, and were told that they were saved even though they never really had a heart change through true repentance and faith in Christ? Many of these people have no evidence of a changed life, yet they may continue to believe that they are on their way to heaven simply because of their intellectual agreement with the facts of the gospel and the repeating of a prayer. How many of them might go to hell with this type of belief where even “the devils also believe, and tremble” (James 2:19)? The numbers could be staggering.
Further multiplying the damage done to many victims, consider the many IFB churches that are affiliated with Hyles. How many churches have been influenced by Hyles? In my research I have found that at least 63 IFB churches have had people, mostly in leadership positions, specifically pastors, who have been caught and charged mostly for child molestation with not only girls being the victims, but boys as well. Out of those 63 churches, 22 of these criminals are associated with Hyles with most of them being HAC graduates and several of them being on staff at FBCH/HAC. And all of these 22 predators have been convicted and sentenced except for one who was able to escape jail because the statute of limitations had expired. Understand, these are only the ones who have been caught. How many more are out there, serving in leadership or staff positions that haven’t been caught? How many have been secretly let go from their positions, and are roaming free or getting involved with another Independent Baptist Church? So many children, teenagers, families, etc have been betrayed, abused, molested, and ruined physically, emotionally, and spiritually because of these predators in church leadership positions. And so many IFB churches are guilty because they fail to investigate, discipline, and warn. I personally believe, based on his great influence over many churches, that Jack Hyles’ philosophy has made a damaging impact to many of these churches. The leaven of these churches continues to grow because hardly any church discipline is done, which produces more victims and more devastated families. And IFB pastors around the country as a whole do not warn their members of the corruption and gross immorality that has been going on inside the IFB movement. Pastor’s talk about the widespread child molestation cases in the Roman Catholic churches, but they avoid warning or rebuking the rampant child molestation cases that are happening in dozens and dozens of IFB churches in America.
THE 13 ALLEGATIONS IN DETAIL
JACK HYLES WAS A PRIDEFUL MAN WHO CONSTANTLY ELEVATED HIMSELF BEFORE HIS FOLLOWERS
1. HYLES EXALTED HIMSELF ABOVE MOST CHRISTIANS. HE WAS IDOLIZED AND WORSHIPED BY HIS FOLLOWERS.
According to the testimonies from many witnesses that I have listed, Jack Hyles constantly attempted to elevate his status in
people’s minds. He was not a humble man. He exalted himself for many years. He held himself so high and was thought of as being above Biblical practice. His followers worshiped him and made him a god without recognizing it. People saw him not a sinner saved by grace, but a man who had risen above the sins of mankind, who’d grown in grace and strength like no other Christian they knew. The favorite Bible teacher at Hyles Anderson College at the time would catch himself on several occasions when he began to pray and mistakenly start out his prayer with, “Dear Brother Hyles.” The church organist of FBCH, Elaine Colsten, wrote in her book “As an organist, I cannot separate the two – God and my pastor.” One staff member at Hyles-Anderson preached a whole message in chapel saying, “I give myself to Jack Hyles, I give my eyes, I give my mouth, I give my hands.” There’s also video evidence of Jack Hyles being treated like a rock star with the students at HAC showing how much he was exalted by his followers. You can find the link in the eyewitness evidence section. There have been many personal witnesses to the idolatry and worship of Jack Hyles. One former Hyles’ student said of him “we basically thought he was a big eye in the sky.” Another witness who attended Pastor’s School said that Hyles yelled out to the crowd, “What are ya? The reply came back, “Idiots.” He said that Hyles “had a greatly inflated opinion of himself.” One person gave his testimony of many phone conversations he had with a friend who was a student of HAC. The HAC student had expressed many opinions about Hyles with one being “Jack Hyles is the Elijah of this generation.” One of Hyles’ personal body guards from 1978-83 said, “I met with him personally and saw his megalomania and personal greed.” Another witness told his wife while listening to Hyles preach “I wonder who Jack Hyles will exalt tonight? — Himself or the LORD? Sadly, It was always HIMSELF.” A woman who was a HAC Graduate gave witness of her experience, “Red flags started almost immediately, there was hero worship everywhere, and the things they chose to uplift and praise seemed so anti-doctrinal.” Another former HAC student said “My family was destroyed by Hylesian Fundamentalism… many members of my family mistakenly placed their hope in men.” Another former student of HAC said of Hyles, “The idolatry of students toward Dr. Hyles himself, which seemed only to be encouraged by every structure, event, and even by every sermon he preached.” Another HAC Graduate read Voyle Glover’s book and gave a review saying “It’s hard to recognize hard facts when you fall under the influence of a man as strong a manipulator as Dr. Hyles was… I highly recommend this book to those who have attended this college and are ready to make Jesus Christ the sole satisfier of your soul, not an icon.” A former devoted follower of Hyles who had been to FBCH and read many of Hyles’ books said that Hyles “was full of HIMSELF, not the Holy Spirit. He promoted Jack Hyles, not Jesus…and all that I found was self-righteousness.” A longtime member of FBCH reviewed the book and said of Hyles, “After listening to his sermons 3 times a week for 20 some years, I can tell you that in most cases, he was exalted and not Him [Jesus].” Another man who was brought up in the Fundamental movement proclaimed, “The issue is the worship of a man and the philosophies of men… It is time for us to get back to the God-Man and not a man no matter how good they may be or appear to be.” And another HAC Graduate said, “I can attest to much of the manipulation and idolatry that came from this organization. It took me years to wrap my head around what was truth and what was fluff.”
(Voyle Glover p 45, 104, 162-163, 172; Jerry Kaifetz p 43, 77; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 30:35, 1:49:00, 1:49:45; Video of the Hero Worship of Jack Hyles 7:04-7:41, Testimony from a HAC Graduate, a Pastor’s school attender, a friend of a HAC student, one of the personal body guards of Hyles, one who regularly went to hear Hyles preach, another testimony from a HAC Graduate and 2 former HAC student, and another testimony from a HAC Graduate 4/8/99, 3/7/01, 11/3/01, 2/17/02, 9/23/02, 1/2005, 4/29/05, 11/8/05 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction – January 9, 2004 by Caron MacCraken, March 12, 2003 by Robert Meredith, September 6, 2001 by Steven C. Minton, January 23, 2013 by Chaplain Mike, and January 5, 2014 by molissa 97531)
2. HYLES BOASTED ABOUT HIS GREATNESS, ACCOMPLISHMENTS, AND SPIRITUAL WALK WITH GOD
Jack Hyles constantly bragged about himself, convincing his listeners of his greatness, sacrifice, and indomitable will. He boasted that he worked harder than anyone in the whole church, that he could pray down the smallest things like a hotdog from God, that he has preached more sermons than any man alive, and that he was pampered by God. He told his followers how great he is in prayer, in faith, in diligence, in consistency, in being stronger than 99 percent of pastors in the nation, and in giving. He preached that his valleys are higher than most folks’ mountains, and that he preached to more people than any man alive.
(Voyle Glover p 122, 162-163, 422, 423)
Below are quotes from Hyles’ sermons that prove this point. In case you think that I’m taking these quotes out of context, Voyle Glover does an excellent job in his book, “Fundamental Seduction,” laying out the longer passage in the particular sermon in order to show that he is not pulling the quote out of context.
– “I thought he [preacher in Texas] was the world’s greatest preacher. That’s before I heard me…” – Sermon: “When Satan Is At His Worst” (Voyle Glover p 48)
– “My secretary said the other day, ‘I’ll declare, it takes me three years to get something from God and it takes you three days.'” – Sermon: “That Which is Unseen,” preached at Miller Road Baptist Church in Texas (Voyle Glover p 99-100)
– “He [God] said, ‘I’ve given him [Hyles] so much. He’s spoiled rotten. I’ve given him so much. What is there I can give him anymore?’…Makes you sorta proud of God, doesn’t it?” – Sermon: “I’m proud of God,” preached 10-28-1973 (Voyle Glover p 101)
– “I have preached over 14,000 sermons in my life–over 14,000 sermons. I doubt if there’s a man in this world alive today who’s preached as many sermons as I have.” – Sermon: “I Shall Not Be Moved,” preached in 1973 (Voyle Glover p 112)
– “I believe the hope of America lies in the pulpit. Right here. This is it, brethren. I mean, you’re it. Like it or not. America will rise or fall on the pulpit.” – Sermon: “Covenant of Salt,” preached at Pastor’s School in 1972 (Voyle Glover p 113)
– “…the weight of this country rests on these two shoulders right here tonight…There are young pastors all over America that are watching us. This has been their mecca for these years… We’ve got Fundamentalism on our shoulders.” –
Sermon: “The World Is Watching,” preached 7-16-1989 (Voyle Glover p 114,127)
– “…David is the most real person in all the Bible… and I feel a little heartache when he leaves his palace. You know why I do? This is mine [pointing to the pulpit]. This is my throne!” – Sermon: “I Shall Not Be Moved,” preached in 1973 (Voyle Glover p 147)
– “The leader of leaders must learn to share glory. He must honor the leaders whom he leads. He must exalt them in the minds of the followers.” – Hyles’ book: “How to Treat Different Types of Church Members” (Voyle Glover p 163)
– “At my weakest, I’m probably stronger than 99 percent of the preachers in America today.” – Sermon: “You’re as Strong as You Are Weak,” preached 5-28-1989 (Voyle Glover p 282)
3. HYLES BELIEVED THAT HE WAS THE ANSWER TO THE SALVATION OF AMERICA.
Jack Hyles believed that he was the answer to the salvation of America. He believed that he had the weight of the entire nation on his shoulders. He believed the spiritual fate of America rested on him. One person gave his testimony of many phone calls he had with a friend who was a student of HAC. The HAC student had expressed many opinions about Hyles with one being “God only is working through First Baptist and that church is needed if revival is going to take place in America… if Jack were not around, no Americans today would be saved.”
(Voyle Glover p 114, 423; Jerry Kaifetz p 90; Testimony from a friend of a HAC student 11/3/01 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
4. HYLES PREACHED THAT FUNDAMENTALISM AND ITS PASTORS WOULD RISE AND FALL BECAUSE OF HIM.
He equated FBCH as the mecca of Fundamentalism where pastors could get their courage, strength, encouragement, batteries charged, etc. (What happened to the Holy Spirit?) He said that if FBCH “crumbled” and fell, the IFB churches would “crumble” and “fall.” He believed the faith of preachers all over the nation would rise and fall on Jack Hyles, and that Fundamentalism rises or falls with him. He said that he has taken the steering wheel of Fundamentalism. He preached that he is the pastor of 10,000 pastors.
(Voyle Glover p 127-128, 423; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 31:45)
5. HYLES WOULD CONSTANTLY FOCUS ON HIMSELF IN HIS SERMONS, MUCH MORE THAN GOD.
Jack Hyles’ sermons were filled with I’s and me’s. In just one fragment of one sermon (“Covenant of Salt”) there were 58 references to himself directly. He was personally observed to deliver a sermon with over 300 self-references and only 5 to God. He mentions himself a lot more than God and Jesus when he preaches. At Hyles’ 70th Birthday Party, (recorded on video that you can watch from the link in the eyewitness evidence section), after all the praise and worship he received through the event, he got up to give his thank you’s in front of HAC. All of his thank you’s were to all the people in his life, but not one of them was a thank you to the Lord. One Pastor’s School attender said that he has received dozens of communications from Hyles inviting people to various conferences at his church. He said, “In all those letters he might have mentioned Jesus, Lord, God, Holy Spirit… once, if you were lucky. Yet his own name might appear between twenty or thirty times.”
(Voyle Glover p 115; Jerry Kaifetz p 24; News Investigation Video : Preying from the Pulpit 29:43; Video of Hyles 70th Birthday Party 1:22:56-1:27:20; Testimony of a Pastor’s School attender 3/7/01 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
6. HYLES WOULD GLORIFY HIMSELF THROUGH THE MANY PICTURES HE WOULD DISTRIBUTE TO PEOPLE OF HIMSELF AND WAS HONORED WITH A ROOM BUILT FOR HIM, AND A LARGE MURAL AND STATUE OF HE AND HIS WIFE.
Jack Hyles’ pictures would be passed out at various times to members and many other followers. There were pictures when he was young, as a paratrooper, and praying in his study. There were buttons, coffee cups, plaques, etc with his picture, all bringing glory to himself. At Jack Hyles’ 70th Birthday Party, he was given $70,000 in cash in a wheelbarrow to make a “Red Carpet Room” dedicated to him. You can find this video in the eyewitness evidence section. A large mural of he and his wife were painted on the side of one of the buildings of FBCH. A statue of he and his wife was made in honor of him at HAC. One former HAC student said he was very angry when the idea of a life-like statue of Jack Hyles in Founders Park was being introduced by Dr. Tom Vogel. Vogel said that at the statue “people from all over the country can come for years to come and pray.”
(Voyle Glover p 155-156, Video of Hyles 70th Birthday Party 1:13:10-1:16:30; Google Image search “Jack Hyles Mural” and “Jack Hyles Statue;” Testimony of a Former HAC student 5/9/02 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
7. HYLES WOULD HAVE THE COLLEGE GIRLS SING SONGS TO HIM TO IDOLIZE HIM.
Hyles wanted the college girls to treat him like an idol by singing songs to him like “We love you preacher, oh yes we do, we don’t love anyone as much as you. If you’re not with us, we’re blue, Oh Preacher we love you.” There is video evidence of these girls singing this to him from the link in the eyewitness evidence section. One HAC Graduate said that she remembered some of the meetings with college girls waiting for Hyles to return as if he was “Elvis.” She said that they “were taught to actually worship him and treat him as an idol.” They would sing to him the “We love you preacher” song to make him come out. “He would not come out until the girls were in a frenzy.” She described their times with Hyles as being “very sexual in nature. He would speak to us as if we were his girls that he was trying to swoon.” Another female HAC Graduate said of Hyles, “Dr. Hyles would allow us as female students to sit on his car hood while he drove off slowly, after a girl’s meeting with ‘Daddy Hyles,’ screaming, ‘We love you preacher!’ like he was some rock star with groupies!!! He would throw down 10 and 20 dollar bills from the cafeteria balcony at screaming girls. He would allow the girls to pat his back and ‘touch his garments’ so to speak.”
(Video of Jack Hyles being Idolized by the College girls 1:53-3:05; Testimonies from 2 HAC Graduates 2/21/00 and 10/9/00 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
8. HYLES WOULD CONSTANTLY PREACH THAT CRITICAL DECISIONS COULD NOT BE MADE WITHOUT HIM.
Jack Hyles would preach in many sermons that critical decisions could not be made without his help. (Can’t believers, who are walking in the Spirit, get guidance from the Holy Spirit about critical decisions without having to go to their pastor? Or is that the only way anyone can make a critical decision?) One person gave his testimony of many phone calls he had with a friend who was a student of HAC. The HAC student had expressed many opinions about Hyles with one being “Hyles words are final authority.”
(Voyle Glover p 159; Testimony from a friend of a HAC student 11/3/01 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
9. AS PEOPLE ELEVATED JACK HYLES IN THEIR MINDS BY HIS STORIES ABOUT HIMSELF, LIES, EMBELLISHMENTS, AND DISTORTIONS WERE MORE EASILY ACCEPTED.
As people elevated Jack Hyles in their minds by virtue of his stories about himself, they accepted so much more of his teachings and philosophies. It became much easier to be seduced with lies, embellishments, and distortions.
(Voyle Glover p 170)
10. HYLES HAD TO CONTROL EVERYTHING.
Jack Hyles simply had to be in charge of everything and approve everything. Jack Hyles was the system. He would not relinquish power, would never admit to mistakes, would never admit he was wrong about his decisions, would never admit that anyone else could make decisions better than he could. He had to control everything. No one but Hyles knew the income of Hyles Publications, not the deacons or the treasurer of the deacons board, even though it was a ministry under FBCH. He controlled every aspect of the funds from that organization, not letting anyone know the income he was getting. He was the only person who knew where the money from the church tithes and offerings went, and spent the money that came into the ministry anyway he saw fit.
(Voyle Glover p 75-76, 303-304; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 28:48)
JACK HYLES BELIEVED AND PREACHED THAT IF SOMEONE IS ACCUSED OF SIN, YOU DON’T LISTEN TO IT, YOU DON’T BELIEVE IT, AND YOU DON’T TALK ABOUT IT
1. HYLES DID NOT BELIEVE ANY ACCUSATIONS UNLESS HE WAS AN EYEWITNESS OR THE ACCUSED ADMITTED HE WAS GUILTY, WHICH MEANS THAT ALL MEN OR WOMEN GUILTY OF SIN WERE ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH GREAT SINS UNDER HIS LEADERSHIP IF THEY LIED AND DID NOT ADMIT THEIR ERROR. HYLES DIDN’T INVESTIGATE ACCUSATIONS.
According to the many witnesses that I have listed, Jack Hyles believed that, “if you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen.” He often told FBCH in one form or another over the years, “I often say this: I do not believe an accusation against a brother or sister unless I saw it happen or they admitted it happened. I did not say it is not true. I said I do not believe it.” And with all the “don’t listen to gossip” messages you have a perfect recipe for permitting someone in the church to commit immoral acts and escape punishment. This philosophy became a doctrine that was almost a doctrine alongside of salvation, overlaid with Hear No Evil; See No Evil; Speak No Evil. As a result of this “doctrine” most people at FBCH and HAC didn’t know or hear any stories or rumors about gross immoral sins that were going on in Hyles’ church. They were taught to never believe a bad story about a friend or even permitted someone to tell them a bad story about a friend. Hyles even went as far as saying that even if you were an eyewitness to a sin, that even then, there could be a plausible explanation. He told about how if he saw a certain preacher lying beside a woman with his mouth on hers, he would assume he was giving mouth- to-mouth resuscitation. In other words, don’t be quick to judge even in the face of overwhelming proof, even if all your senses tell you it is so.
Also at FBCH it was never a good thing to ever express criticism or dissent. You never disagreed with Hyles publicly or privately. That is the way cults operate. They do not tolerate dissent and they have complete control when there is complete agreement. Hyles wanted to be in charge of what you believed, ignoring passages like Acts 17:11 about following the example of the Bereans.
Hyles made thousands of buttons for his followers to wear that said “Hyles 100% Support.” Fear and rejection by Hyles was the driving force that fostered complete obedience and unquestioned loyalty.
Critical thinking was always discouraged and was seen as the expression of pride. The slightest questioning of Hyles’ authority was unthinkable and treated as rebellion worthy of ostracizing or excommunication. It was a career-ending move for any staff member or employee of FBCH. Hyles refused to discipline corrupt abusers of the innocent, which resulted in more victims and ruined more lives and thousands of once well-intentioned and sincere followers of Jesus Christ. Hyles taught that if a preacher discussed an accusation against Hyles with another preacher, it would be worse than adultery. Hyles’ followers have been conditioned through mind control and brainwashing over the years not to listen to anything bad.
A former church member said that the deacon’s board of FBCH fears that if you disagree with Jack Hyles, you are disagreeing with God. A witness of FBCH said “the people are programmed not to question their pastor or anything that comes out of FBC of Hammond… He [Jack Hyles] and his family have always been held up before the people as above reproach!” One person gave his testimony of many phone conversations he had with a friend who was a student of HAC. The HAC student had expressed many opinions about Hyles with one being “Jack Hyles is…not to be questioned, criticized or spoken ill of…” A former HAC student said, “I was surprised at the cult-view people had of Jack Hyles. To say anything was out of the question and was unthinkable.”
(Voyle Glover p 25-26, 51, 53, 86, 87; Jerry Kaifetz p 35-36, 37, 60, 76-77; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 1:50:00; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 13:00, 29:00; Testimonies from a witness of FBCH, a f riend of a HAC student, and a former HAC student 11/1999, 6/26/01, 6/2004 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”
2. HYLES SERMONS REGARDING NOT LISTENING TO ACCUSATIONS.
– “Brother, I’ve never heard a bad thing about you because I don’t hear bad things about anybody… I’ve never heard a bad thing about you, cause two reasons: Folks know I won’t listen to bad things, so they don’t tell me. Number two, they start to tell me, I get up and walk off…” – Sermon: “God Is Talking If You’d Just Take Time to Listen,” preached 11-30-86 (Voyle Glover p 50)
– “…no person in this house or who has ever sat in the building as I’ve preached will ever be able to say truthfully that I have stood and been critical of Bible believers. Nobody!…there’s nothing so deadly as for God’s people to talk about each other!” – Sermon: “The Danger of Union,” preached 4-13-70 (Voyle Glover p 54, 56)
– “I’m not going to lift up my hand against God’s anointed… He may hurt me, but if he’s God’s man, I don’t wanna hurt him… I don’t wanna criticize him…” – Sermon: “I Have Sinned,” preached August 1972 (Voyle Glover p 56)
– “I often say this: I do not believe an accusation against a brother or a sister unless I saw it happen or they admitted it happened… I did not say it is not true. I said I do not believe it.”
Hyles Answer to Robert Sumner: UNTRUTH #14 (Voyle Glover p 239-240)
– “When we critique another’s area with evidence, it is called judging. Next we are not to judge another man’s servant. That means I’m not supposed to listen to a bunch of stuff goin’ around… So if two witnesses come, you got probable cause. So you look into it. But you do not judge their guilt or innocence even by two or three or a hundred witnesses!… you don’t make your decision.” – Sermon: “Justice and Witnessess,” preached in 1990 (Voyle Glover p 260-261)
JACK HYLES COVERED UP THE GROSS IMMORALITY, ADULTERIES, AND PERVERSIONS OF HIS SON DAVE HYLES . HE LIED FOR HIM AND PUT HIM IN LEADERSHIP AND PASTORAL POSITIONS AT HIS AND OTHER CHURCHES, WHILE KNOWING ABOUT HIS SON’S WICKEDNESS .
1. DAVE HYLES’ COMMITED GROSS HABITUAL SINS THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE AND IN PASTORAL POSITIONS, AND JACK HYLES, HAVING FULL KNOWLEGE, DID NOTHING ABOUT HIS SON.
1) Dave Hyles was a habitual fornicator through his teenage years. Jack Hyles knew about it. Even with the knowledge of his son’s habitual fornication, he still made him the Youth Pastor of FBCH, and allowed him to marry Paula, his first wife, without warning her.
2) Dave seduced young girls and committed adultery while on staff over the years with many women while he was married. A graduate of Hammond Baptist High School wrote that he “was in the same class as David Hyles and it was common knowledge that the behavior which got him into so much trouble later in life was already a problem then. Surely his father was aware of it. But he had his own reasons for a cover-up.” A former staff member who started the Blind Department at FBCH, and personally helped Jack Hyles by doing different jobs for him, claimed that he knew about Dave Hyles having sex with girls at hotels from Dave’s youth department. Paula, Dave’s first wife, said that their physical relationship was almost non-existent. That she would catch him watching porn and making calls to other girls when he thought she wasn’t looking. She said that other women that he was having affairs with would come to her and confess that they were sleeping with him. She also knew that several of them went to Jack Hyles about their affairs with Dave and many parents of these girls reported Dave’s behavior to him as well. And many more in FBCH knew about his affairs. Jack Hyles did nothing about it and continued to keep his son on staff.
3) Dave Hyles left the staff of FBCH after Hyles was given an ultimatum by a staff member whose daughter had been seduced by Dave, and Dave Hyles was sent down to Texas and became pastor of his dad’s old church, Miller Road Baptist Church. Jack Hyles not only hid his son’s sins but sent him to be a ticking time bomb as pastor at that church.
4) According to Paula, Dave would get very physically abusive with her at times. David would also be physically and psychologically abusive with his children.
5) According to Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, Jack Hyles daughter, and Paula, Dave’s first wife, David Hyles had affairs with 14 different women when he pastored in Texas. There was a lady who was a teacher in one of the schools of First Baptist. She said that she confronted Dave Hyles about his “serial adultery.” She said Dave Hyles did not hesitate for a second and gave this answer: “Great men have great needs!”
6) A former member of Miller Road Baptist church wrote that he was there when David Hyles was pastor there. He saw firsthand, the “broken marriages, destroyed family structures, and wrecked lives of new believers because of David’s affairs. He could tell them about the “former husband of Brenda Stevens [Dave Hyles’ current wife] who sits in church, still faithful despite the immense damage.” He could tell of “a faithful pastor and friend who has had to leave a pastorate and is currently seeking another, because it became known within the congregation that his wife was one of the many that fell under ‘David’s spell.'” And the list goes on!
7) Dave continued to commit adulteries at that church until the day a briefcase was discovered in a dumpster by the janitor’s son of Miller Road Baptist Church. In the briefcase, many obscene and perverted pictures of he and other naked women (not his wife) were discovered which he had affairs with. Jack Hyles defended his son and said he was innocent. He continued to lie and cover for his son’s sins.
8) After losing his church, Dave was moved to a different church in Texas by his father who desperately tried to cover up his son’s wickedness and Dave had 17 more affairs with different women there according to both Linda (Jack Hyles’ daughter) and Paula.
9) Dave Hyles ran off to Illinois with another church member’s wife, Brenda Stevens. Jack Hyles still lied about his son.
10) Paula finally divorced him over all of this. Hyles tried desperately to keep Dave and Paula’s marriage together through all these years. Out of her fear of Jack Hyles, she stayed married this long until she finally had enough.
11) Dave Hyles had a violent temper and abused his own children. At least three people witnessed it: his own mother, Mrs. John R. Rice, and Paula. Serious bruises on his child were found by his first wife Paula. Andrew, Brenda Steven’s older son, displayed some of the abused symptoms while being in the care of Dave and Brenda. He had a hollow-eyed stare, an inability or desire to talk with any adult, an extreme submissive behavior, and he never wanted to go home when he visited certain homes. He had begged one particular woman to let him stay with her so he didn’t have to go home.
12) Dave Hyles and Brenda Stevens brought her baby to Illinois with them who she had with David Stevens. Multiple untreated broken bones over a period time were discovered by Hospital Staff when the baby was being treated for a very swollen leg. The baby had to be in a body cast because of his injuries. After investigations of child abuse, the investigator concluded that Dave was the man responsible for the multiple bone breaks. After failing to convict Dave and Brenda, the lead investigator was concerned the child was going to end up dead. He was right, no more than a few months later, the child was found dead. In court, Dave Hyles invoked the 5th amendment and Brenda was a no show. The investigator was convinced based on the evidence that Dave and Brenda were guilty of murder and needed to go to jail. They escaped jail because there wasn’t enough evidence to sentence them.
13) After having devastated two churches to which Jack Hyles had sent his son to, Dave Hyles returned to FBCH. The whole congregation gave him a standing ovation. Jack Hyles continued to lie and cover-up his son’s sins even after all the immorality, serial adulteries, pornography, perversions, and child abuse.
14) Jack Hyles was forced to say something about his son to FBCH after handouts were distributed in front of FBCH at Pastor School in the early 90s. These handouts showed ads that Dave Hyles put in Chicago porn magazines over a period of 2 years. These ads had naked pictures of his wife Brenda performing sex acts and the ad read “IL: Clean, discreet attractive lady looking for bi-ladies or couples to join with my husband and a variety of sexual possibilities.” Jack Hyles implored Pastor School delegates not to take the handouts, telling them, “The boy has done something awful, and I prefer that you not look at it.”
(Voyle Glover p 58, 94-95, 108-109, 255-256, 269, 333-335, 340-348; Jerry Kaifetz p 47-48, 72, 77; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 6:35, 45:30, 46:58, 47:50, 57:25, 58:10; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey 5:23, 5:42; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Part 1: 0:25, 1:33, 3:02, Part 4: 0:56, 2:04, Book Interview: p 360, 363, 369, 372, 374, 378, 383, 385; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 10:18, 10:34, 10:52; 13:38; Testimony of a former member of Miller Road Baptist Church, a graduate of Hammond Baptist High School Early 1998, 12/15/00 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction – Testimony of a Staff Member of FBCH April, 2014 by Fruit First)
2. JACK HYLES KNEW ABOUT HIS SON’S WICKEDNESS FOR YEARS AND DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. HE LIED FOR HIM PUBLICALLY, HE COVERED UP HIS SINS, AND WILLINGLY SENT HIM TO BE A YOUTH PASTOR, AND A PASTOR OF TWO CHURCHES WITHOUT WARNING THEM OF HIS SERIAL ADULTERIES.
Jack Hyles permitted his son to roam freely to corrupt women and girls in FBCH. He sat by and did nothing about the sins of Dave. Paula, Dave’s first wife, said that Jack Hyles knew about his son’s sins even when he put him on staff in FBCH. Yet Jack lied about even knowing about it. He also allowed Dave to marry her when he knew his son’s wickedness, and didn’t even warn her. He allowed her to go into a marriage that he knew would eventually destroy her life. She had gone to Hyles many times about the affairs. Also many girls, women, and parents who were connected to the affairs went to Hyles with concerns, threats, and allegations. Yet nothing was done.
Jack Hyles refused to not only discharge his son, but refused to discharge the wife (a staff person in the school) of a deacon in the church who committed adultery with Dave. Jack Hyles would preach specific messages that would deflect the heat he was getting from all the allegations regarding his son. He did not sit down and pray with the devastated families that his son had destroyed. Hyles was busy putting out all the fires about his son when scandals about Dave broke out. When accusations came to him, Hyles refused to take the side of the accuser, but sided with his son. Sometimes he would make a great display of sorrow in front of certain staff members who came to him and told them he would “take care of it.” Nothing was done though.
Jack Hyles did not warn Miller Road Baptist Church about Dave’s moral problems. He permitted his son to go to the church he had once pastored, to people he once loved, and allowed his son to wreak havoc and destruction. When Dave Hyles’ briefcase, with pornography of himself and the women he was having affairs with, was discovered and he was let go from Miller Road Baptist Church, Jack Hyles defended his son publicly and said he was innocent. Not only did Hyles hide it, but Independent Baptist preachers across America allowed Jack Hyles to hide it and even defended the fact that he hid it. These preachers would tell their congregations that they shouldn’t say anything about it. After Dave got in trouble, Jack sent his son to another Baptist Church in order to try to cover up his sins. Paula explained that when Hyles’ son was caught with the briefcase full of pornography, his answer was “What was he doing, trying to get caught?” His advice was never “Dave, what’s your problem? Why are you doing this?” It was, “What are we doing now? Where am I going to move you?” “Where are we going to get him another job?” “Where can we put him to make him a success quickly?” Hyles wouldn’t promise Paula he’d counsel with Dave or anything, but was focused on damage control.
Jack Hyles was a compulsive liar and lied for years. Even when he answered Robert Sumner in his article exposing Jack Hyles, Hyles answered him back continuing to defend his son. He made Dave out to be a good man ignoring that he was a whoremonger. The only time he spoke about his son’s sins was many years later in the early 90s when flyers were being passed out at Pastor’s school that showed Dave’s pornographic ads in porn magazines. The only thing he said to the delegates was “The boy has done something awful, and I prefer that you not look at it.”
(Voyle Glover p 58, 94-95, 108 -109, 255-258, 260, 269-270; Jerry Kaifetz p 72, 77; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 6:35, 47:50, 1:37:15; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey 5:42; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Part 1: 1:33, 3:02, Part 4: 2:04, Book Interview: p 362, 378, 385; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 10:18, 10:52)
JACK HYLES NOT ONLY COVERED UP HIS SON’S SINS, HE COVERED UP THE IMMORAL SINS IN HIS OWN CHURCH AND THE SINS OF MANY PASTORS IN THE INDEPENDENT BAPTIST MOVEMENT
1. HYLES WENT AROUND THE COUNTRY TRYING TO COVER UP FOR PREACHERS WHO WERE GUILTY OF ADULTERY.
Hyles went around the country trying to keep the adulterous affairs of pastors quiet and trying to restore them back in the pulpit, or moving them into other positions. Ed Nelson, former pastor of South Sheridan Baptist Church in Denver, Colorado, wrote Jack Hyles a letter asking him to give an answer for all the scandalous rumors. He said, “I’ve noticed Dr. Hyles went to the rescue of men who were in trouble with their church on account of alleged sexual sin.” Nelson relates that he “knew a man in Atlanta, Georgia,” a pastor, who “without a doubt” was “involved in sin.” Nelson said that Hyles went down and worked with the church, attempting to keep the man there. It bothered Nelson greatly that Hyles was going about the country trying to keep pastors who had fallen into adultery in the pulpit. Hyles gave no response to his letter.
(Voyle Glover p 130. 227 (Ed Nelson’s letter to Hyles); Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 24:40, 1:44:05)
2. HYLES COVERED UP THE SINS WITH HIS OWN STAFF MEMBERS.
Hyles covered up the sins of his own deacons and staff that were involved with adultery. Pastor Roger Voegtlin talked about a man in his congregation that hired one of Hyles’ deacons for a job because he wanted a good Christian to work with. The deacon, a married man, worked only for a short time, but was found out to be messing with the women at the job. The man who hired him went to confront him at his house, but instead talked to his wife because he wasn’t home. His wife started crying and said that her husband commits this sin again and again everywhere he goes. She said she went to Hyles and he did nothing about it. A man that worked at the Mission at FBCH told Pastor Voegtlin how that the director of the Mission was having an affair with a whore. It was brought to Hyles’ attention but he did nothing about it. A faculty member at HAC called Pastor Voegtlin and told him that he committed adultery with one of the students after he was caught. The student was shipped out of the college and the faculty member was promoted by Hyles. The president of Hyles -Anderson College at the time, Dr. Evans, said, “it’s a shame we have more of our men that we train for the ministry divorced than we do have in the pulpit.”
(Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 12:20, 49:35, 50:43, 1:42:45)
3. HYLE USED FEAR AND BRIBES TO KEEP THINGS SECRET
A graduate of Hammond Baptist High School and a member of FBCH talked about allegations that surfaced such as “payoffs to faculty members who threatened to leave or expose things there.” This witness said that “if you went against the wishes of Hyles, you were publicly blackballed.” They gave the example of George Godfrey who’s house was broken into and his honorary doctorate from Hyles-Anderson College was stolen. Another witness who went through the Hammond school system and attended HAC said that “there is WAY more under the surface at FBCH and I have no earthly idea how it all stays so secretive.” Again another graduate of Hammond Baptist High School and was a HAC student said they “had first hand knowledge how these people will lie just to punish people they don’t like. It showed me that people at FBC were vindictive and would do anything to punish people — even lie.” Another former HAC student said, “The inappropriate behavior of Jack Hyles is overwhelming. At times I wanted to go to 20/20 or a place like that so he would be exposed and people would see him for what he his, but I was always overwhelmed with fear that they would find me.” After reviewing the book “Fundamental Seduction” a long time member of FBCH said “This book did raise a lot of questions about things going on in the church which, frankly, I feel were not just ignored, but buried…This book confirmed many of the things I heard about, felt about the school and church, and many things I witnessed myself.”
(Testimony of a graduate of Hammond Baptist High School, Two graduates of Hammond Baptist High School and former HAC students, and another former HAC student, 12/7/97, 1/6/99, 12/15/00, 2/9/01 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction – Testimony of a longtime member of FBCH September 6, 2001 by Steven C. Minton)
JACK HYLES TAUGHT THAT CHILDREN WERE TO BE SEVERELY PUNISHED IF THEY WERE DISOBEDIENT . AS A RESULT, MANY CHILDREN OVER THE YEARS HAVE BEEN SEVERELY ABUSED BY CHURCH LEADERS AND PARENTS . WIVES HAVE BEEN ABUSED AS WELL .
Hyles taught that children need to be severely punished if they were disobedient. Hyles’ style of child discipline was taught at North Sheron Baptist Church and Christian school in Michigan. They were caught in a lawsuit with the severe spanking of a student. An 11 -year-old boy was disciplined so severely that the inflammation lasted 11 days. At Calvary Baptist Church in Petersburg, Virginia, the Christian school principle was charged in 1984 with assault and battery against a 10 year old. A pastor who had been trained in the Jack Hyles’ system punished a 10-year-old boy by putting a giant snake in the church baptistry with the naked boy in the dark. They did this for at least 15 minutes. The Pastor also disciplined him at another time, by putting hot peppers in his rectum. The pastor also put the boys genitals under the glass of a coffee table. This was corroborated by not only his mom, but also a man that knew the pastor and the child.
A FBCH High School Graduate/former Hyles-Anderson College student recounted her experience with her family as they all attended FBCH for many years. She said her father was extremely abusive and was abusive for many years. This person recounted how her father was reported by a neighbor for child abuse. “Dr. Hyles had a deacon in the church, Bruce Johnson, represent my parents before the H.E.W. (Health Education and Welfare) department board and I believe in court as well. The case was closed. However, what no one ever bothered to find out was: Were the accusations true? My dad was a ‘lucky’ one… The thing was, the reports (of abuse) were absolutely true. My father was extremely abusive. And so were other parents who lived in our neighborhood that attended FBCH. Yet the church was providing legal representation for these offenders. And Dr. Hyles would get up from the pulpit and warn the congregation about how our church had become a ‘victim’ of unfair persecution by the Health Education and Welfare Department!” This person also said that they knew beyond a doubt that many HAC graduates and students living in the Hammond area are current wife and children abusers. This person had friends and former roommates from college who were married to some of these guys. She said that her sister and her saw these girls come to church on Sunday morning with bruised faces and bleeding lips, and that the children often look worse.
Other witnesses reported the following: One wife of a Hyles follower said that her ex-husband “ruled our home with every spoken
word by Jack Hyles… He ruled the children and me with an iron hand, and was physically violent with us because Hyles said that men were the ruler of their families.” Another witness said that their dad “would follow Hyles’ handbook on child raising, and was very abusive… he would use his belt and he would not care where it hit. Many times I went to school the next day with bleeding welts on my back and legs and would have a black eye from where the belt hit me in the face… my Dad took me into a field and made me run, and if he caught me he would beat me until I was bleeding.” Another person said that FBCH ruined their childhood and that their father was a Hyles’ follower, “choosing Hyles over my siblings and me.” The wife of a Hyles-Anderson graduate recounted after reading “Profaned Pulpit,” that she no longer has to blame herself for how her husband treated she and their children after she realized what was going on at FBCH. Lastly, a 15-year member of FBCH said that they witnessed many things and said that they had friends molested there.
(News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit ; Testimony of a FBCH high school grad/former HAC student, a wife of a Hyle’s follower, 2 witnesses who were raised by fathers who where devoted Hyles followers, another wife of a Hyles-Anderson graduate, and 15 year member of FBCH 1/6/99, 4/8/99, 9/14/02, 11/2004 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Profaned Pulpit September 19, 2013 by “Amazon Customer,” March 22, 2013 by Kim Nicks)
IFB CHURCHES AROUND THE COUNTRY HAVE CHILD MOLESTERS, ABUSERS, AND SEXUAL PREDETORS IN THEIR PULPITS, AND CHURCH LEADERSHIP AND STAFF POSITIONS . MANY CHURCHES ARE COVERING UP THE SINS OF THESE PERVERTS . AND MANY ARE CONNECTED TO HYLES
1. MANY HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATES AND HYLES PROTEGES WHO BECAME PASTORS AROUND THE COUNTRY HAVE BEEN CHARGED AND SENTENCED FOR CHILD MOLESTATION AND ABUSE. THERE ARE AT LEAST 22 CHARGED CRIMINALS/PERVERTS THAT ARE CONNECTED TO HYLES.
In at least 2 churches, Jack Hyles defended 3 guilty men. 1) A.V. Ballenger, a deacon and bus driver for FBCH, who was found guilty of molesting a 7 year old girl (as well as 3 other young girls). 2) Mark Foeller and Timothy Leonard of North Sharon Baptist Church, a deacon and an associate pastor who where charged with molesting several young boys. In Ballenger’s case, threats against the victims and family were made by members of FBCH, and Hyles allowed it to happen without any rebuke. The school teacher who witnessed the crime was ostracized by members of FBCH until she finally left that church. Hyles also dismissed the grossness of the sin by saying that Ballenger “just likes little girls.” When he was out on bond, Hyles and FBCH gave Ballenger a standing ovation. Hyles even allowed him to work freely with the children in the bus ministry. With Mark Foeller and Timothy Leonard, there was no church investigation into the matter. The matter was kept quiet before the congregation of North Sheron Baptist Church. The case was discovered when a doctor discovered a sexually transmitted disease in one of the boys. Hyles honored Timothy Leonard and Mark Foeller (who was in jail at the time) at his Pastor’s School in 1993. Hyles and attorney David Gibbs awarded the Pastor and Associate Pastor Timothy Leonard as “Defenders of the Faith.” Foeller’s wife was given a “Christian Justice Award,” for her husband who was in jail at the time. The victim’s families were shocked that they would honor the people who molested their boys. (You can see the video of this here: News Investigation: Preying from the Pulpit: 4:15- 5:30 https://vimeo.com/64954749). Jack Hyles also financed the wave of intimidation on the victim’s families. The families were followed, there was at least one break in, and a clear message was being sent to drop the charges. Even the police, when called to investigate, were followed and harassed. The pressure that the families of the victims received from Hyles caused them to drop the charges.
The following list summarizes some of the major details about these 22 predators connected to Hyles in some form or another:
Out of these 22:
– 13 were guilty of molesting underage girls (most of them were girls 14 years of age and younger. Some of them were 11 years old and younger). 4 of them were guilty of molesting underage boys including rape and sodomy. At least 3 of them were guilty of violent acts of abuse. 1 pastor had in possession a rape kit to subdue, terrorize, bind, and rape victims. 1 was caught soliciting sex and exposing himself in public. 1 exploited a married woman during counseling in order to have an affair. And 1 had video taped girls in their changing room.
Out of these 22:
– At least 9 of them were defended and supported by the members of their church. At least 9 of the churches showed no support for the victims or their family. At least 4 of the victims were blamed for molestation charges. Some of the members made threats to at least 3 of the victims. At least 1 witness in one church saw the crime and was ostracized. 1 deacon of another church who asked the Sheriff’s office to investigate the crime was dismissed and escorted off church property. The members who left that same church over the scandal were also vilified. 8 were allowed to continue working freely in their same position in the church during their probation or after their bond or allegations. 9 of them were placed or kept in their positions at the church with at least some of the leadership having knowledge that this person was committing or had committed crimes, and they turned a blind eye to it. 2 of them had other Fundamentalist pastors and organizations honoring them.
Out of these 22:
– 14 of them were Graduates or students at HAC. 1 of them was a staff member of FBCH, 3 of them are Hyles Proteges and Fanatical Hyles Devotees. 2 of them were Faculty Staff/Teachers at HAC, 1 of them was a Deacon of FBCH and Bus Worker, 1 of them was a deacon of a church pastored by a HAC graduate, and 1 of them was the Pastor of FBCH (Jack Schaap).
Out of these 22:
– 15 are former pastors, and 6 of them had important leadership roles at or connected to their church.
Out of these 22:
– 19 of them were convicted and sentenced. 2 of them had their charges dropped due to the pressure and intimidation done to the families of the victims that Jack Hyles financed. 1 of them was not sentenced because the statute of limitations had elapsed.
Out of these 22:
– 18 different Independent Baptist Churches in 10 states have been associated with these criminals, most of who were in a pastoral leadership positions in these churches.
Below is a brief description of each of these 22 church predators. I have included news web links and resources for each person as evidence for the charges made by each of these criminals. You can skip ahead to page 66 if you don’t want to read each profile.
ANDY BEITH – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE AND PRINCIPAL OF LIBERTY BAPTIST ACADEMY AT LIBERTY BAPTIST CHURCH IN LAKE STATION, INDIANA Sentenced for child molestation with an 11 year old girl. Andy Beith ran off with an 11 year old girl on a cross- country sex spree to Las Vegas. He had plans to marry her and have babies with her. He never faced church discipline.
A.V. BALLENGER – FBCH DEACON and BUS WORKER
Convicted for molesting a 7-year-old girl. 3 other women testified that he had molested them as children.
Jack Hyles defended Ballenger and made him a public spectacle during his trial. The majority of FBCH church members came to Ballenger’s defense. They refused that these allegations could be true. no one showed support for the molested daughter or family. Threats were made to the family from members of FBCH during and after the trial. The Sunday School teacher who witnessed the crime was ostracized until she finally left FBCH. Hyles dismissed the grossness of the sin by saying that Ballenger “just likes little girls.” Jack Schaap excused Ballenger’s crime by saying that the child really, really, liked hugging men. When Ballenger was out on bond, he continued to work freely with the children in the bus ministry with the approval of Hyles. Jack Hyles had the church give him a standing ovation and kept him in the bus ministry.
News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 2:23
CHARLES SHIFFLETT – HYLES PROTEGE AND FANATICAL HYLES DEVOTEE / FORMER PASTOR OF CALVERY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CULPEPER, VIRGINIA Indicted on seven counts of abuse, including sexual abuse, and endangerment of children.
Shifflet was given probation and returned to his second church First Baptist of Culpeper, a free man, and continued this life as though he had never destroyed the lives of so many children. – In 2008 he was sentenced for 20 various counts of fraud and embezzlement against his previous church, insurance companies, and state agencies. Many of the members who followed Shifflett from Calvary to start First Baptist of Culpeper, blindly supported their pastor even with the mounting evidence against him. Members from his church made threats against those who were molested by him who were speaking out. One victim had her tires slashed. No other pastor has spoken out against him or rebuked those who followed him. No one had reached out to the victims. http://www.nbc29.com/story/8547318/culpeper-pastor-pleads-guilty-to-charges
CHESTER MULLIGAN – HYLES PROTEGE AND FANATICAL HYLES DEVOTEE / FORMER PASTOR OF CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH IN CHICAGO AND GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH AND ACADEMY IN MIAMI, FLORIDA
Charged with two counts of sexual misconduct with a minor for molesting a 14 year old girl. His sexual abuse continued for 4 years. Mulligan was considered a “Hyles Man” running his ministry in the style of Jack Hyles. Even with allegations, he remained as pastor for many years at Miami’s Grace Baptist Church and Academy in Florida and after he acknowledged his guilt, and was sentenced for one-year probation, he still continued to be pastor of Grace Baptist without any church discipline.
CHRIS SETTLEMOIR – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / PASTOR AND PRINCIPLE OF ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH AND ACADEMY IN MICHIGAN.
Repeatedly Raped and Sodomized an under-aged boy for a period of 14 months. He also gave pornographic images of himself to other boys.
The church called the boy a liar and the “instigator of his own rape.” 10 members of the church’s board of directors and Settlemoir’s wife, one of the teachers, knew about the molestations but failed to stop them. They turned a blind eye to his crimes. Christopher Settlemoir showed signs of sexual perversion by racking up $100 of gay porn charges on the cable at the apartment where he was staying as part of the pastor’s internship program. http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/24/51615.htm
CRAIG SISSON – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / FORMER PASTOR OF BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH OF MISSOURI
Convicted of first -degree child molestation against an 11-year-old girl, the daughter of church members.
Sisson was admitted to Harvest Baptist Church in Iowa without the congregation being warned that he was a sexual predator. He stalked two church women with obscene phone calls while being “counseled” at Harvest Baptist Church. He left the church without facing church discipline and with no follow up. He lives in Missouri and no churches have been warned about him. http://www.poynter.org/news/11413/jefferson-county-preacher-faces-molestation-charge/
DAVID JOSEPH JORGENSEN – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / STAFF MEMBER AT FBCH / FORMER ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF PLEASANT VALLEY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CHINO, CALIFORNIA
Part of a civil lawsuit for “committing lewd acts” on a female when she was 14.
EARL REEVES – HYLES PROTEGE AND FANATICAL HYLES DEVOTEE / PASTOR OF LIGHTHOUSE BAPTIST CHURCH IN SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
Guilty for molesting four adolescent girls from his church. No biblical church discipline was ever taken. http://articles.latimes.com/1985-06-19/local/me-9251_1_el-cajon
GREG NEAL – HYLES -ANDERSON GRADUATE / PASTOR ON STAFF OF BEREAN BAPTIST CHURCH IN ORANGE PARK, FLORIDA
Neal secretly videotaping church girls getting changed.
A church member accidentally found one of the tapes and turned it over to Pastor Tom Neal, Greg’s dad. Pastor Tom Neal hid the videotape till the statute of limitations had elapsed. Pastor Tom Neal held a big Fundamentalist Bible Conference with Fundamentalist preachers coming to support the conference even with the evidence of this gross sin already out. The Sword of the Lord’s, Shelton Smith, along with many other Fundamental Baptist preachers participated in this. None of them rebuked Pastor Tom Neal or his son Greg Neal, but instead covered it up. Tom Neal and his son dismissed and escorted one of the deacons, of 15 years, off church property because he had asked the sheriff’s office to investigate them. They preached from that pulpit, calling the members who left the church over this scandal, evil, vile, and Satan worshipers. Even with the evidence, both Father and Son continue to pastor at their church. No church discipline has been done. http://www.news4jax.com/news/No-Prosecution-Of-Pastor-For-Voyeurism/1947512
JACK SCHAAP – FORMER PASTOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF HAMMOND
Caused an underage 16-year-old child to be transported across state lines for sex. Tricked employees at FBCH into taking his victim into Illinois and Michigan. Schaap claims that his sentence should be reduced because the girl was sexually experienced. Schaap also blames the underage victim, branding her as a seductress, so that he can get less time in prison. The victim said that Schaap made her believe that what they were doing was right in God’s eyes. When she asked him if it was wrong, he told her no and that she was a precious gift from God. She was taught to always obey her pastor because he is God’s representative. In one of the letters that he wrote to the 16-year-old girl, he said that his sexual relationship with her was part of her personal salvation and something Jesus Christ wanted. He told her that Christ wants to marry them and for them to become eternal lovers. In another letter he told her how much she matters to Jesus Christ by spending 3 days with him in Michigan. Schaap and the girl texted each other 662 times in one month right before he was discovered. Blames attorneys for 12-year sentence.
JEFFREY JARRELL – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / FORMER YOUTH PASTOR AT CALVARY PARK BAPTIST CHURCH, PETERSBURG, VA
Took a guilty plea for molesting 11 young girls from his church. http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=220
JEREMIAH OWEN – HYLES-ANDERSON STUDENT / SON OF JEFF OWENS OF SHENANDOAH BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH, MARTINSBURG, WV
Sentenced for two counts of sex assault with 2 underage teenage girls, 13 and 15 years old. Was sentenced for three counts of possession of stolen property, and was charged with burglary and theft. Also charged with having sex with a 14-year-old girl at a school in Lexington. There is no record that he ever faced any church discipline. He had complete freedom within his father’s church to be alone with young girls. His father, Jeff Owens, has failed to administer discipline and to dutifully warn his church. He remains unrebuked and unchallenged in his office as pastor. Pastor Jeff Ownes was the former Vice President of Hyles-Anderson college.
JOE AND EVANGELINE COMBS – FORMER BIBLE TEACHER / FACULTY MEMBERS AT HAC AND FORMER PASTOR IN TENNESSEE
Sentenced for multiple counts of child abuse and molestation He and his wife abused his adopted daughter with beatings, knocking out teeth and ramming them back into their sockets, repeatedly burning her with different instruments, and pulled out pieces of skin with pliers. Joe sexually molested and abused her repeatedly. Their adopted daughter tried to commit suicide at a church event. When taken to the hospital, the emergency workers found abundant evidence of lifetime abuse with scars layered over scars. Photos were found of her with bruises, scars, her arm in a sling, etc. Joe and Evangeline were found guilty of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated perjury, aggravated rape, and 7 other counts of rape. Several Hyles-Anderson administrators defended them.
News Video Investigation:
KERRY MARTIN – FORMER HYLES-ANDERSON COLLEGE STUDENT / FORMER PREACHER AT TEMECULA VALLEY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CA
Sentenced for molesting a 14-year-old girl that lasted 20 months. A cleaning crew caught him in the act. Three others stepped forward to declare that they also had been molested. Warned for trying to solicit oral sex from a police officer while awaiting trial. Expelled from Jim Vineyard’s Oklahoma Bible College his senior year, but never prevented or confronted for becoming a pastor.
MARK FOELLER – FORMER DEACON AT SHARON BAPTIST CHURCH IN WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI (JACK HYLES FINANCED THE WAVE OF INTIMIDATION OF THE VICTIMS)
Charged with four counts of first and second degree child sexual assault. All the alleged victims were poor children that were bussed to church by Foeller. There was no church investigation into the matter. The matter was brought to public attention when a local medical doctor discovered that one of the young boys, who was bused to Sharon Baptist, was ill with a sexually transmitted disease. The children identified Foeller as molesting them. The church leadership did not tell the congregation what was going on. Jack Hyles financed the wave of intimidation on the victim’s families. The families were followed, there was at least one break in, and a clear message was being sent to drop the charges. Even the police, when called to investigate, were followed and harassed. The pressure that the families of the victims received from Hyles, caused them to drop the charges. http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/fbi-asked-to-join-child-sex-abuse-probe-michigan-kids/article_760a5709-4107-5c95-83ec-94457e7b4861.html http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=218
MATT JERRELL – FORMER HYLES-ANDERSON COLLEGE STUDENT / FORMER PASTOR OF OPEN DOOR BAPTIST CHURCH IN MESQUITE, TEXAS
Arrested on suspicion of rape and sodomy. He had previous charges for sexual assault, use of a prostitute, and illegal handgun possession. Police found a rape kit that serial rapist use in his car so he could subdue, terrorize, bind, and rape victims he wanted to find. Open Door Baptist Church in Mesquite, Texas was sued by Matt Jerrell’s rape victim for sheltering him there. The church knew that Jerrell had a history of assaulting women but paid him to travel alone to preach, “representing the church, acting on its behalf and ‘holding himself out to be a Baptist preacher.'” Jerrell committed suicide in his jail cell as the investigation closed in on him. Matt Jerrell was praised in his eulogy by an Independent Fundamental Baptist Publication and Ministry called Revival Fires by Dr. Dennis Corle. His gross sins were white washed. Open Door Baptist Church, continued to honor their former pastor, even after his suicide. They failed to exercise church discipline. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/mesquite/headlines/20110522-mesquite-pastor-accused-of-west-virginia-sex-assault-commits-suicide-.ece
RUSSELL K OVERLA – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / FORMER PASTOR OF LAKESIDE BAPTIST CHURCH IN CEDAR LAKE, IN
Convicted for child molesting. Charged for molesting two young girls ages 12 and 13. The girls were younger when the acts were committed. He admitted that he molested the 13 year old for more than 3 years. He admitted that he molested the younger one for 4 years. Caught when a teacher walked in on him when he was molesting the older girl. He tried to deny it later even after he admitted it in his confession.
SHELDON STOTMEISTER – HYLES -ANDERSON GRADUATE / FORMER PASTOR OF CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH IN DUBUQUE, IA
Accused of having exploited a woman during counseling in order to have a sexual relationship with her. He encouraged her to divorce her husband and to not tell anyone about the relationship. He was arrested. During marriage counseling he advised the husband and wife to separate and used that separation to have an affair with the wife. He is a registered sex offender. http://www.qconline.com/news/iowa/former-dubuque-pastor-charge-with-sexual-exploitation-of-client/article_5747c53e-7a5d-52ca-bf98-c1a6958f099b.html
TED BUTLER – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE / FORMER PASTOR OF GOSPEL LIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH IN WALKER, MI
Convicted for child molesting little boys, one which was 5, while he was pastor. He sexually abused one victim as many as 50-60 times when the victim was between the ages of 3-9 years old. He had been charged with child molesting when he was a youth pastor, before he became pastor of Gospel Light Baptist Church. He took a guilty plea to the fouth-degree Criminal Sexual Conduct. 50 people came out to support Ted Butler at his trial. There is no record on whether he faced church discipline for his actions. There is also no record of any IFB pastor censuring and exposing Butler for what he has done. He remains an IFB pastor in good standing across the IFB. http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/01/one_year_in_jail_for_former_pa.html http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=124
TIMOTHY LEE LEONARD – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE AND FORMER ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF NORTH SHARON BAPTIST CHURCH IN WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI
Charged with 11 counts of first and second degree child sexual assault. All the alleged victims were poor children that were bused to church by Leonard. There was no church investigation into the matter. The matter was brought to public attention when a local medical doctor discovered that one of the young boys, who was bused to Sharon Baptist, was ill with a sexually transmitted disease. The children identified Leonard as molesting them. The church leadership did not tell the congregation what was going on. They continued to recommend Leonard as a babysitter for children. Jack Hyles financed the wave of intimidation on the victim’s families. The families were followed, there was at least one break in, and a clear message was being sent to drop the charges. Even the police, when called to investigate, were followed and harassed. The pressure that the families of the victims received from Hyles, caused them to drop the charges. http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/fbi-asked-to-join-child-sex-abuse-probe-michigan-kids/article_760a5709-4107-5c95-83ec-94457e7b4861.html
WILLIAM BEITH – HYLES-ANDERSON GRADUATE
Arrested for soliciting an undercover officer in a local park. He was also arrested on suspicion of exposing himself in public. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93369
2. MANY OTHER IFB CHURCHES, (AT LEAST 45 CHURCHES), HAVE HAD CHILD MOLESTERS/ABUSERS AS THEIR PASTORS AND IN OTHER LEADERSHIP AND STAFF POSITIONS. (THERE ARE AT LEAST 53 CHARGED INDIVIDUALS)
Out of these 53:
– 31 were charged for molesting underage girls (most of them were girls 15 years of age and younger, including some that molested girls who were age 10 and younger. Some of them included rape and sodomy charges). 16 of them were charged for molesting underage boys including rape, oral sex, and sodomy. (Note: some of them were guilty of molesting both boys and girls). At least 5 of them were guilty of violent acts of abuse. 1 was charged with possession of child pornography. 1 was charged with attempting to lure an underage girl through the internet. 1 was charged with indecent liberties with a minor.
Out of these 53:
– At least 20 of them were defended and supported by the members of their church. At least 25 of the churches showed no support for the victims or their family. At least 3 of the victims were blamed for molestation charges. 1 church had members removed and blacklisted for being concerned. 8 were allowed to continue working freely in their same position in the church during their probation or after their bond or allegations. 10 of them were placed or kept in their positions at the church with at least some of the leadership having knowledge that this person was committing or had committed crimes, and they turned a blind eye to it. 2 of them had other Fundamentalist pastors and organizations honoring them.
Out of these 53:
– 24 are former pastors, and 8 of them had important leadership roles at or connected to their church. 9 were employees of the church. 5 were counselors. 7 were members, and 2 are family members of the pastor.
Out of these 53:
– 45 different Independent Baptist Churches in 20 states have been associated with these criminals, most of who were in a pastoral leadership positions in these churches.
The following details are short profiles of each IFB church pretender. If you want to skip these details you can go to page 75.
BILL CABE – PASTOR OF RIVERSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH OF ROCK HILL, SC
Convicted for assault and battery on an elderly man. Allegations that he had abused two boys at the school with 100 beatings with wood resulting in bleeding and bruising. Was charged for committing a lewd act on a child under 16. Arrested on another three child abuse related charges. Even when he was out of prison, he still pastored. No IBF church or pastor has censured him or made a move to protect the innocent against this repeat offender. Nobody has acted on behalf of any of his victims. http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/11/13/2611735_sc-minister-on-federal-probation.html?rh=1
BOB GRAY – PASTOR OF TRINITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN JACKSONVILLE, FL
Arrested for Child Molesting. Had four charges of capital sexual battery involving three young girls. Fifteen women total have come forward reporting his abuse. Told one of the victims, “I am like God in this church, and you are just a little girl.” The church supported him even with the charges. There was no sympathy about the victims. Trinity Baptist leadership knew Gray was a pedophile but covered it up. One of the deacons said he didn’t know french kissing little girls was a crime. He was not removed from his position as pastor.
CALEB THOMPSON – SON OF THE LATE PASTOR HANK THOMPSON AT CAPITOL CITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN ARLINGTON, TX
He and his brother decided to punish an 11-year-old boy for cheating during his Bible studies. Caleb held him down while his brother beat him until his kidneys failed. Doctors confirmed that during the hour-long punishment that the boy had been hit at least 100 times. He was so injured that he spent a week in intensive care and needed a blood transfusion. Caleb received a 14 years sentence while his brother received 24 years. They have never apologized for what they had done and even wrote a book in prison comparing their sentence to the Apostle Paul. Major IBF leaders have endorsed their books including Dr. Bob Jones III. Their church and family have continued to defend them. No church discipline was given to them for committing such and act.
CARL LLOYD III – YOUTH PASTOR OF SONRISE BAPTIST CHURCH IN HARSELLE, AL
Indicted for sodomizing a 15-year-old girl. There is no record of biblical church discipline being made. The church simply relieved Lloyd of his duties and he left the state. http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=13562494
CARLTON HAMMONDS – PASTOR OF WILLOWS BAPTIST CHURCH IN WILLOWS, CA
Charged for sexually assaulting two teenage girls, ages 14 and 15, from his congregation. Prosecutors allege a lifetime of predatory behavior. Investigators believe that his wife may have been complicit in previous unrecorded crimes against children. The District Attorney described a “26-year pattern” of her “complicity,” saying she “turned a blind eye, but knew of her husband’s propensity toward these types of acts.” Posted bail and remained free throughout his trial and during his efforts to delay sentencing. He has never been rebuked, censured, or excommunicated by the IFB or by any minister in the IFB. They have not instructed him to confess his sins. http://www.chicoer.com/20110603/former-willows-pastor-sentenced-for-lewd-acts-with-minors
CEDRIC MCCORMIC – COUNSELOR OF “CAMP TRACY” FOUNDED BY PASTOR WILFORD MCCORMICK OF HARVEST BAPTIST CHRUCH OF JACKONVILLE, FL.
Forced oral and anal sex onto some boys at the camp. One of the victims filed suit against him because of “repeated acts of sexual abuse” against him for 4 years between the ages of 12-16 years old. He said he was forced to perform oral and anal sex with him two or three times a week. The victim said that Cedric “used the position of authority granted to them by Harvest to satisfy their perverse desires.” Another victim filed a lawsuit, alleging that Cedric abused him with beatings, hard labor, denial of food and shoving him with an electric cattle prod. The lawsuits were dismissed because the statute of limitations had passed. Cedric McCormic left Camp Tracey and Harvest Baptist Church and was on staff at North Gainesville Baptist Church pastored by Gary Manning. Nether church ever launched an investigation into the multiple claims that he forced sex onto boys. http://www.tampabay.com/faccca/group-homes/camp-tracey
CHARLES SAVAGE – FORMER PASTOR OF FREEDOM BAPTIST TEMPLE IN XENIA, OH
Indicted for alleged sexual conduct with a 14-year-old boy in his congregation. This lasted for 6 years. He was charged with seven counts of sexual battery and four counts of corruption with a minor. He posted his own bond ($100,000) and remained free. He still thinks that he is the victim based his testimony in court. Freedom Baptist Temple has remained quiet about this and there is no record of church discipline.
CHARLES SNOW – ORDAINED MINISTER OF SOUTHWEST LICKING BAPTIST CHURCH IN PATASKALA, OH
Charged with child molesting for having sex with a 14 -year-old girl. He openly admitted that he committed the crime. Bob Jones University, which kicked him out of the Divinity program, remained silent about his crime. His church honored him for being ordained just a few months after his arrest. After they found out about it they removed him from the ministry, but when questioned about exercising Biblical church discipline, they remained silent. http://www.gvlsc.com/2010/09/bob-jones-master-of-divinity-major-sex-crimes/
CHARLES TUCKER – EMPLOYEE OF NORTH LOVE BAPTIST CHURCH IN ROCKFORD, IL
Charged with 17 counts of sexual assault and abuse of a child and one count of child pornography possession linked to a 13-year-old girl. No record of church discipline.
CHRISTOPHER VARGO – CHURCH MEMBER AT HAMPTON PARK BAPTIST CHURCH IN GREENVILLE, SC
Molested two boys that were 13 and 14 years old. Charged with three counts of lewd act on a minor.
The church placed him on leave. He voluntarily resigned. The church has refused to begin a process of church investigation or church discipline. Church leadership expressed no sympathy for Vargo’s alleged victims.
DANIEL ASHBY – CHRISTIAN SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR AT COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL AT CALVARY COMMUNITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN NORTHGLENN, CO
Investigation linked him to sharing child porn electronically. He pled guilty to the possession of child porography.
DANIEL LEAF – FORMER ATTENDER AT TRINITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CONCORD, NH
Found guilty on two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault against his step daughter beginning when she was 9 years old. He was already a registered sex offender and also faced charges for violent assault against his step daughters brother. Trinity Baptist Church administration urged the victim not to press charges on sexual molestation. She was coerced to visit him in jail and “forgive” him. No one on record came to her defense. Daniel Leaf has never faced any church discipline for any of his crimes. The pastor of Trinity Baptist advised church members to remain silent
DAVID DOWNS – PASTOR OF CORNERSTONE BAPTIST CHURCH IN CHULUOTA, FL
Arrested for the rape of a child under the age of 12. His church asked him to resign, but they chose to keep the reason he resigned a secret. They didn’t exercise biblical church discipline. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-23/news/os-child-sex-charges-pastor-arrest-20130923_1_preacher-state-prosecutors-six-counts
DAVID J SILCOX – GRADUATE OF BOB JONES UNIVERSITY. BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH OF WEST CHESTER, PA
Pleaded guilty to rape, kidnapping, involuntary deviate sexual assault, weapons offenses and related charges. He had several victims that included young women and teenagers. No record of Church discipline.
DIRK JACKSON – PASTOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN PORT ORCHARD, WA
Repeatedly raped a 12-year-old girl when he was a teacher at Manchester Christian Academy in Port Orchard, WA. His church and the current pastor have expressed only support for him to the newspapers and not for his victim. Many church “supporters” where there at his trial. The church has done nothing to support his victim and rejects the claim of abuse. They blame the victim for speaking up. There is no Biblical church discipline and no investigation.
DONN KETCHAM – PASTOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN PORT ORCHARD, WA
Molested adolescent girls who where missionary kids. His sexual abuse was not reported by The Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, until much later. http://www.abwe.org/news/abwe-board-and-administration-confession#.VIilVxbaafQ http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=84
DUAIN A. WHITTEMORE – FORMER DIRECTOR OF TABERNACLE CHILDREN’S HOME OF TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH IN GREENVILLE, SC
Arrested for molesting and raping a 13-year-girl from the children’s home. Another victim came forward alleging sexual abuse when she was 16 years old. In spite of the charges, he remains the Director on Anchor Baptist Church’s Mission Board. The church finds no credibility in the charges in spite of not interviewing any of the people who brought forward the charges.
EDWARD GREEN – FORMER YOUTH PASTOR AT MARQUETTE MANOR BAPTIST CHURCH IN MARQUETTE MONOR, IL
Indicted and was found guilty of child molesting. Sexually abused a girl at least 50 times for 5 years between 14-18 years old. He was one of 4 child molesters who temporarily found safe harbor at this church.
ERNEST WILLIS – MEMBER OF TRINITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CONCORD, NH
Convicted for forcibly raping his 15 year old teenage babysitter twice whom he knew through his church. Willis’ crime was never acknowledged for what it was. Former pastor of Trinity Baptist, Chuck Phelps, humiliated the rape victim by shaming her before her church for “committing adultery.”
http://www.concordmonitor.com/community/town-by-town/concord/8153534-95/supreme-court-upholds-rape-conviction-rejects-religious-privilege-argument http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20110906/us-church-rape-case/ http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=87
FRANK STIMA – FORMER DEACON OF MARQUETTE MANOR BAPTIST CHURCH IN DOWNERS GROVE, IL
Sentenced for criminal sexual abuse of a teenage girl within the church.
GREGORY JONES – FORMER COUNSELOR AT TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHILDREN’S HOME IN GREENVILLE, SC
Charged with 2 counts of attempting to commit or committing lewd acts upon a minor. The victim alleged that he was sexually assaulted when he was 7 and it continued for several years when he was at the children’s home. A second victim came forward that alleged that he was molested when he was 10 years old. The Church immediately took the side of the Gregory Jones and failed to conduct a genuine, impartial investigation before declaring that he is innocent.
JAMES “BEN” HARRIS – SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER AND YOUTH WORKER AT BROOKWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH IN LAWRENCEVILLE, GEORGIA
Indicted on six counts of child molestation and one count of enticing a child for indecent purposes. The child was a 14-year-old boy. Harris was caught when the boy’s mother discovered the sexually explicit photos Harris had been texting to her son on her son’s cell phone. Pastor Dean Oliver of the church had nothing to say on behalf of the alleged victim or his family. He made no reference to the church providing support or care for the boy or his family. There is no record of biblical church discipline.
JAMES MCCOY – FORMER YOUTH PASTOR AND ASSOCIATE PASTOR AT CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH IN SOUTHINGTON, CT
Sexually abused, exploited, and assaulted a teen girl in the church within a two year period. Jim Townsely, pastor of Central Baptist sided with McCoy and not the victim. McCoy only had to apologize “for having an affair with a church member.” The pastor did not notify the police, but instead he gave McCoy notice and allowed him to leave the church honorably. McCoy left the state. He let a sexual predator slip away from justice.
JAMES JAY ROBINSON – FORMER PASTOR AT SOUTHWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH, FORT WORTH, TX
Pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a 16-year-old teenage girl who was a church member. Was caught by the girl’s father having a highly sexualized conversation on the phone who turned out to be the pastor. The church council sided with the pastor and not the victim’s father. The church refused to remove Robinson or enact any church discipline. He hired armed guards to remove concerned church members and blacklisted them. The guards even manhandled some members. When the father reported it to the police, and Robinson failed the polygraph test. Many members left the church, but the church council still fully supports Robinson.
JAMES KUBICEK – YOUTH MINISTER AT FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN VALDOSTA, GEORGIA
Charged with child molesting a 15-year-old girl. He was also charged with aggravated child molestation and aggravated sexual battery. He was fired but not excommunicated. The pastor let members know that he was dismissed for “inappropriate conduct as well as inappropriate relationship.” They didn’t expose his actual sins for what they were. On at least one news website, a church member tried to blame the victim, insisting that sex between the 29 year old ordained minister and the 15 year old girl was simply consensual sex. There is no record of biblical church discipline, other than informing its members of his vague sins.
JAMES SMOKER – ASSISTANT PASTOR AT RED ROCKS BAPTIST CHURCH IN MORRISON, CO
Sentenced for abuse by dumping trash on a mentally handicapped volunteer after he was forced to lie down blindfolded in the church parking lot. It was used as a disciplinary action against this victim. When Smoker told another assistant pastor how he was going to discipline the volunteer, the other assistant pastor did not prevent him from doing it. The pastor of Red Rocks Baptist did not report the incident to the police. But he did fire him from his position.
JASON STAINAKER – SCHOOL TEACHER AT CAPITOL BAPTIST SCHOOL IN DOVER, DE
Sentenced for raping and child molesting. He had 295 charges linked to the sexual abuse of a 15-year-old student over a 2 year period. The victim said that she was fondled as a student almost every day by him. He even molested her in front of his own children.
JEFFREY NICHOLS – ASSISTANT PASTOR AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR AT GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH IN ATTLEBORO, MA
Charged with aggravated indecent assault and battery. He admitted that he repeatedly molested a 13-year-old female student at the school. Although he was fired from his position, there is no record of biblical church discipline.
JESSE DANIEL RUHL – FORMER ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF PLEASANT VALLEY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CHICO, CA
Charged for molesting a 16-year-old girl. His father and the pastor of the church, Tim Ruhl, fired him, but still didn’t exercise proper biblical church discipline.
JOE CUTHBERT – CHURCH ORGANIST FOR OPEN BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH AT GLOUCESTER, NJ
Charged with five counts of aggravated sexual assault, five counts criminal sexual contact and five counts endangering the welfare of a child. The victims were five boys, all minors. No record of biblical church discipline.
JOHN EDWARD WILSON – “DORM FATHER” OF CAMP TRACEY OF HARVEST BAPTIST CHURCH IN JACKSONVILLE, FL
Arrested for child abuse. Four boys recounted being choked, slammed and thrown by Wilson. The juvenile residents knew about Wilson’s anger problem. The former pastor, Ceddic McCormick, denied the allegations even with all the other molestation and abuse cases that were being reported at Camp Tracey. He himself was charged with sexual assault at the camp. No church discipline was taken with Wilson.
JOHN PUGA – FORMER COACH AT THE SCHOOL AT MARQUETTE MANOR BAPTIST CHURCH IN MARQUETTE MANOR, IL
Charged with one count of criminal sexual assault and one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. He pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a 17-year-old girl
JOSEPH STRANG – ADMINISTRATOR AND FORMER ASSISTANT TO THE PASTOR AT LIGHTHOUSE BAPTIST CHURCH IN GLOUCESTER, NJ
Pleaded guilty to multiple counts of child molesting, both male and female victims. Fondled a 12 year old male multiple times, and sexually assaulting a 14 year old in church.
JOHN BROTHERS JUNIOR – FORMER YOUTH PASTOR AT HYLAND BAPTIST CHURCH IN HENDERSON, KY
Charged with sixteen counts of sexual assault on a child and two counts of first-degree sexual abuse with two members of the youth group. Sexually assaulted a boy 8 times in a bedroom over a six-week period in Colorado when he was a pastor at First Baptist Church in Yampa. He moved to Hyland Baptist Church in Kentucky to become a youth pastor there and sexually assaulted two other youths. The church never mentioned the victim or church discipline in their statement.
JONATHON POWELL – FORMER PASTOR OF NEW HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH IN MACHESNEY PARK, IL
Charged with sexual assaulting 2 teenage girls. Plead guilty to charges. Church members had rallied around the pastor, but never referred to the victims.
JOSHUA GARNER – YOUTH VOLUNTEER AND SON OF TWO HYLE-ANDERSON GRADUATES WHO ARE MISSIONARIES FROM FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF ST. FARNCIS, MINNESOTA
Plead guilty to sexually molesting two boys under the age of 12. The members of the church pleaded for leniency for Garner because “his service to the church and volunteerism has been outstanding.”
JOSHUA THOMPSON – PASTOR OF THE SPANISH-SPEAKING CONGREGATION AT CAPITOL CITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN ARLINGTON, TX
He and his brother decided to punish an 11-year-old boy for cheating during his Bible studies. His brother held him down while he beat him until his kidneys failed. Doctors confirmed that during the hour-long punishment that the boy had been hit at least 100 times. He was so injured that he spent a week in intensive care and needed a blood transfusion. He received a 24-year sentence. They have never apologized for what they had done and even wrote a book in prison comparing their sentence to the Apostle Paul. Major IFB leaders have endorsed their books including Dr. Bob Jones III. Their church and family have continued to defend them. No church discipline was given to them for committing such and act.
KENNETH JOHNSON – YOUTH WORKER AT HAMPTON PARK BAPTIST CHURCH IN GREENVILLE, SC
Arrested for child molesting a 14-year-old boy who was part of the youth group. The church did not use biblical church discipline. They kept the matter private until the last possible moment. He was allowed to keep his secret as he mingled freely in the church. The pastor did not show pity for Johnson’s victim when he made a public statement.
KERRY MCJUNKINS – FORMER PERSONAL ASSISTANT TO PASTOR JEFF FUGATE AT CLAY MILLS BAPTIST CHURCH IN LEXINGTON, KY AND LANDMARK BAPTIST CHURCH IN HAINES CITY, ARIZONA
Plead guilty to child molesting two boys and indecency. Also confessed to having a homosexual relationship. His pastor quietly got rid of him and did not exercise church discipline. Previous before he worked at Clay Mills Baptist Church, he was fired by Landmark Baptist Church for having homosexual porn on his computer. That church did not exercise proper biblical discipline but got rid of him quietly.
MIKE STROUF – BROTHER-IN-LAW TO PASTOR JACK TRIEBER OF NORTH VALLEY BAPTIST CHURCH IN SANTA CLARA, CA
Charged with statutory rape of two girls in the youth group. One of the girls became pregnant because of it. The pastor hushed up the matter and launched him on some other unsuspecting church. Once the statute of limitations had elapsed on his statutory rape, he returned to North Valley Baptist and Pastor Jack Trieber made him a bus driver for children. He has unobstructed access to teenage girls at the church. The community was not warned about him.
NICK MINERVA – FORMER PASTOR OF TRINITY BAPTIST FELLOWSHIP IN PHOENIX, AZ
Committed suicide after police attempted to carry out a legal search of his church over a claim that he attempted to lure in a person he believed to be a 14-year-old girl by means of internet chats.
These chats covered about 8-9 months. http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=109
PHILLIP MADISON – BUS DRIVER FOR AMAZING GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH IN STONEVILLE, NC
Convicted of Indecent liberties with a minor. The victim was 14. The church continued to defend him and shelter him. The church held a public reconciliation with Madison after his arrest. The church has made no public statement or demonstration of support for this 14-year- old victim. Madison did eventually confessed his crime to his church, but still many members in the church still supported him.
RICHARD MICK – PASTOR OF LIGHTHOUSE BAPTIST CHURCH OF SANDUSKY, OH
Indicted on two counts of rape and two counts of sexual imposition against two 8 year old children, a boy and a girl. Both victims were members of families who attended the church. The church has never removed him from the pulpit. No church investigation was made. No record of the church mentioning the victims. http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/25539524/sandusky-pastor-indicted-for-rape-of-young-2-children
ROBERT PRICE – YOUTH PASTOR OF KINGS WAY BAPTIST CHURCH IN CONCORD, NC
Charged with 5 counts of indecent liberties with a child. He molested a boy from when he was 13-17 years old. Another male victim came forward and reported sexual assault charges. The pastor and church continue to support him.
ROBERTO DE LA GARZA – TEACHER AT CENTRAL BAPTIST ACADEMY OF CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH OF AMARILLO, TX
Indicted for sexual abuse with a second-degree felony charge of engaging in an improper relationship with a student.
STANLEY DANIEL – FORMER PASTOR OF EL BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH IN ROANOKE, AL
Pleads guilty to first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy and two counts of distribution of obscene material.
STEPHEN DOUGLAS BERRY – FORMER ASSOCIATE PASTOR AND YOUTH PASTOR OF NEW LIFE BAPTIST CHURCH IN UNION, SC
Charged with a lewd act on a 13 year old girl, and molesting a 15-year-old girl. The church made him resign, but failed to mention the victims.
TERAH ALLYN RAWLINGS – TEACHER OF HILLTOP CHRISTIAN SCHOOL OF HILLTOP BAPTIST CHURCH OF COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
Charged with multiple counts of sexual against a minor, a male student. The pastor and associate pastor knew what she was doing and demanded silence from others and swept the matter under the rug. The pastor was approached about the situation at least 3 times. The pastor, associate pastor, and principle are facing charges for having failed to report the alleged crimes.
TERRY R. CARLSON – TRUSTEE, COUNSELOR, AND BUS DRIVER AT KISHWAUKEE BAPTIST CHURCH IN ROCKFORD, IL
Charged with one count of criminal sexual assault and 14 counts of criminal sexual abuse and six counts of indecent solicitation of a child. The victims were 16 and 14 years old. http://jeriwho.net/lillypad2/?cat=444
TODD TURNER BROCK – FORMER PASTOR OF TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH IN HIGH POINT, NC
Pleads guilty to trying to entice a grieving 17-year -old male into bondage sex. The teenage boy came to him over the death of a friend and Brock gradually introduced topics of sexuality into their conversation. He detailed sexual fantasies of bondage sex acts with the teenage boy. Brock also took advantage of a 20-year-old man during spiritual counseling and asked him to join in the acts of bondage sex. He resigned before being arrested on four felony counts of sexual crimes against a minor. The church showed no support for the victim.
TOM DANIELS – FORMER PASTOR OF RIO LINDA BAPTIST CHURCH IN RIO LINDA, CA
Convicted of molesting 5 little girls under the care of him and his wife at a child-care facility that they ran out of their home. The victims were 5, 6, 7, and 8 years old. Throughout the investigation of law enforcement and criminal proceedings, Tom Daniels remained the pastor. The church continued to support him and has never instigated a church investigation into the allegations. They ignored the victims. No other church has denounced Daniels.
TONY DENTON – FORMER COUNSELOR OF TRINITY BAPTIST CHURCH IN JACKSONVILLE, NC
Charged with 16 counts of sexual indecent with children and molesting young girls. His crimes were not reported to the authorities and no other churches were warned when he went to work for other churches or Trinity Baptist when he returned.
TRINA ROCKER – CHURCH SECRETARY OF LANDMARK BAPTIST CHURCH IN HAINES CITY, FL
Convicted for having sex with a 17-year-old student at Landmark Christian School.
BASED ON ALL THE EVIDENCE, JACK HYLES HAD AN AFFAIR WITH JENNIE NISCHIK THAT LASTED FOR YEARS
1. THIRTEEN FACTS THAT IMPLICATE THAT JACK HYLES AND JENNIE NISCHIK WERE INVOLVED IN AN AFFAIR.
1) Vic Nischik tried to see Jack Hyles about the alleged affair with his wife. This alleged affair had reportedly been going on since 1969. Jack Hyles would not discuss it with Vic and would not answer the allegations. Vic took it to the deacons. The deacons wouldn’t listen to him either, and even laughed at him. According to Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, Jack Hyles daughter, Hyles had affairs, and had a mistress, Jennie Nischik, for many years. He also built Vic and Jennie Nischik a beautiful home near his home.
(Witnesses: Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 31:05; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey 4:58; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 30:32)
2) Hyles told a building contractor to build an addition to Jennie Nischik’s home for Vic Nischik to live in instead of him living in the basement, which Vic objected to. Hyles spent $ 11,000 on this addition so that Vic could continue to live in the same house, but still separated from his wife. Why would Hyles be directly involved in keeping Vic and Jennie separated from each other and spend lots of money allowing unbiblical separation to continue? Isn’t he, as a pastor, supposed to reprove and rebuke married couples that are stubbornly refusing to get back together? So why would he financially back the continual separation of Vic and Jennie, encouraging them the live in a state of rebellion?
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 8, 203 (local police chief and long-time bodyguard for Hyles News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 30:32),
3) Hyles gave Jennie Nischik enough money to maintain her independence from her husband. He gave her a car, a $ 35,000 loan to provide for her needs, and other gifts for many years. This was not an isolated gift, but a continuing flow of cash and gifts. The estimated total over the 18 years in which Hyles gave financial gifts to her in one form or another is $100,000. He gave all this to her when she was still in open rebellion against her husband. One simply does not give another woman, not your wife, that kind of money without questions being raised, nor to a woman having marital problems.
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 203, 205- 206, 210-211, 214, 442; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 30:32)
4) Hyles kept Vic on staff at FBCH, even though he accused him (without evidence) of running off with another woman. Neither Jennie nor Hyles had seen Vic committing adultery with a woman. Vic continued to be in Hyles’ inner circle for many years while this was going on. He continued to be deacon, continued to lead the singing in Hyles’ Sunday school class, continued to be used at the alter for soul winning and to serve the Lord’s Supper. So if Vic truly was committing adultery as Hyles accused him to do, why would he continue to allow him to be used in all those positions at church rather than relieve him of his duties? Why would he permit someone who he believes has committed adultery to remain in such a high position in the church? Why would Hyles keep someone who was continually accusing him of adultery? Could it be that Hyles didn’t want his affair with Jennie to erupt and get out in the open?
(Witness: Voyle Glover p 80, 180, 189, 198, 203, 205-206, 289; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 1:46:00)
5) Hyles also keeps Jennie on staff, even though she continued to live in an open state of rebellion against her husband for years. If Hyles failed in his counsel to reconcile her to her husband, why would he permit someone like that to continue on his staff if she was that stubborn?
(Witness: Voyle Glover p 179, 181, 189, 193-194, 205-206)
6) Every Sunday when Jack Hyles preaches, he has his wife behind him in the choir on his right, and directly on his left, he has his reputed mistress, Jennie Vischik, in the choir. You can see the video of it. He has had them there for years even with all the allegations made against him and Jennie. The two women have ignored each other for years.
(Witness: News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 9:58)
7) There was a door that directly and privately connected Jack Hyles’ office to his secretary Jennie Nischik’s office where Jennie could go into his office undetected if she wanted to. Paula “Hyles” Polonco, Dave Hyles’ first wife, accounts for there being a hidden door behind a curtain between Jack Hyles’ door and his secretary showing that the two could come together secretly to his office. According to Judy, Vic and Jennie’s daughter, she and her brother used this door themselves. She recounts her mother spending a great deal of time with Hyles. She was in his office before and after every service. She spent hours alone with him on Saturday afternoons. When Judy was a teenager, she recalls one time that she went to Hyles’ office to ask her mom a question. After knocking, Judy waited at the door for 3 to 5 minutes before she heard the door between their offices open, and her mom came and “answered rather perturbed.” Why would Hyles have this door in the first place giving people at the very least the appearance of evil? Why did he refuse to seal it up when confronted about it?
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 296-297 (George’s Godfrey’s letter), 442; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Part 2 1:42; Judy “Nischik” Johnson Book Interview p 393)
8) Hyles took a trip with four women to Hawaii, including Jennie Nischik with no other male chaperon. Hyles didn’t take his wife or Vic Nischik either. When Hyles answered Robert Sumner’s accusations, he did not deny this accusation to be untrue but ignored it. He also gave Jennie a lavish birthday party, without his wife and without Vic.
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 249, 442)
9) One of Hyles’ secretaries, who was raised in FBCH and worked directly with Hyles, came to Pastor Roger Voegtlin’s office against her will by her husband. Her husband wanted her to quit her job because of the affair that Dr. Hyles was having with Jennie Nischik. She told him that Hyles and Jennie were caught in a motel room together.
(Witnesses: Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 42:10 – Jack Hyles’ secretary)
10) Hyles installed a private phone in Jennie’s bedroom. He would have late night, lengthy, private conversations with her. Judy, Vic and Jennie’s daughter, would constantly hear her mother end her long conversations with Hyles with a soft, tender, and intimate “I love you,” throughout her life. Judy said that their conversations reminded her of the conversations that she and her husband have, that they were more intimate in nature as if they were a couple in love. Even before the private phone was installed, Hyles would call Jennie at very scheduled times. Sometimes Judy would answer it and Hyles would nervously stammer, not expecting Judy to be on the phone.
After that, Hyles would ring the phone once and it would stop ringing after that. Her mom would then go upstairs to call someone back immediately. It was obvious it was a signal. According to Paula “Hyles” Polonco, Dave Hyles’ first wife, Dave told her that he saw possible signs of adultery in his dad. He told Paula how much he resented his dad for it. Dave observed how his dad would be directly behind Jennie’s car when driving home and would flash the headlights as a signal to Jennie before he went to his house (Jennie’s house was right by Hyles’ house). Judy, Jennie’s daughter, recounted the same story and would see them both flash the headlights of their car as a signal to each other.
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 442; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Part 2 Judy “Nischik” Johnson Book Interview p 390, 393, 400-401, 405, 407, 409-410)
11) According to Judy, Vic and Jennie’s daughter, every staff member at church knew that Jennie drove Hyles to the airport on Monday mornings, and on Thursdays and Fridays, no staff member was allowed to “bother” either one of them. Doors were closed, and no one saw either of them the entire day.
(Witnesses: Judy “Nischik” Johnson Book Interview p 394)
12) Jack Hyles’ relationship with his wife was a distant one. He almost never mentioned her in his sermons, and never bragged on her or used her in illustrations after the 1970s. According to Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, Jack Hyles’ daughter, her father (Jack Hyles) hated his wife and treated her terribly, even abused her. He turned his own children against their mom and made them think that she was crazy. Their home was full of turmoil, stress, and strife. It was isolating, intense, and frightening when she was little. According to Paula “Hyles” Polonco, Dave Hyles’ first wife, Jack Hyles and his wife didn’t love each other. They didn’t sleep in the same bedroom (this was going on for 20 years since her interview), and didn’t speak to each other. Jack didn’t talk to his wife in enduring terms or even say that he loved her. He refers to her as the mother of his children.
(Witnesses: Voyle Glover p 93; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey 4:22, 4:42; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Part 2 3:20 Book Interview p 383)
13) According to Judy, Vic and Jennie’s daughter, all communication in the Nischik home was passed through Jack Hyles. Whenever there was deviation from the set schedule, Jack Hyles arranged it. Jack Hyles had control over the most minute details of the lives of the Nischik family. No one could believe such an important person had so much interest in the lives of one family. She remembers being very afraid of Hyles. All she got from him was this enormous intrusion into her life and enormous amount of control over her. She said that, “in 27 years, I have never seen Jack Hyles do a truly selfless thing. In Judy’s confrontation with her mom about this issue, her mom told her that she hated Jack Hyles for making her stay with Vic for all those years.
(Witnesses: Judy “Nischik” Johnson p 389, 391, 397-398)
2. HYLES REFUSED TO RESPOND TO FRIENDS WHO NEEDED ANSWERS TO HIS ALLEGATIONS. DOES AND INNOCENT MAN REALLY ACT THIS WAY? WOULDN’T AN INNOCENT MAN GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO PROVE HIS INNOCENCE?
1) Bob Jones University published a very strong statement to its student body regarding the controversy. The university said that there had been “rumors…going around for a long time about Dr. Hyles’ moral position.” The questions related that “a number” of Hyles’ friends had sought to get answers from him over the past few years, and that Hyles had refused to answer them. In conclusion, Bob Jones University indicated that unless answers were forthcoming, Hyles would likely find “many doors closed.”
2) Ed Nelson, former pastor of South Sheridan Baptist Church in Denver, Colorado, sent a letter to Hyles asking him to tell him point blank whether the scandalous rumors were true or not. He told him “you realize you are not limited to a local church. You have a national
reputation and ministry.” Nelson promised Hyles that he would “go across the country to clear your name,” if the stories were false, and that if they were true, that Hyles needed to “get on your knees and get right with God.” Hyles never answered his letter.
3) George Godfrey, who was known to be an extremely loyal staff member to Hyles for 15 years, being known to put his hands on the bricks that Jack Hyles walked on and prayed for him, published his words to Jack Hyles under the heading “Why I Left Jack Hyles After Sixteen Years.” In it he relates that he’d heard that Hyles had a mistress named Jennie Nischik. Regarding the door that was between Hyles’ office and Jennie Nischik’s office, Godfrey said, “I then asked you to do me a favor, You asked, ‘What’s that?’ I explained that there were rumors going around that there was something going on between you and Mrs. Nischik. I asked you to do me a favor of getting the door sealed up, to put Mrs. Nischik in a different office, and to put a male staff member in your adjoining office…I explained to do so… would silence the rumors… I knew of some church members and college workers who had already left over this problem… You told me, ‘No, I am not going to do it. You are wasting my time.'”
4) Walt Handford, a pastor and son-in-law of the late John R. Rice, begged Hyles by letter and in person to speak to him about the matter, but he would not.
(Voyle Glover p 4 (Bob Jones University statement), p 227 (Ed Nelson’s letter), p 296-297 (George Godfrey’s published letter), p 444 (Walt Handford’s letter); Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 32:30, 33:25, 34:28, 35:40)
JACK HYLES WAS A HYPOCRITE, ACTING COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO WHAT HE PREACHED
1. HYLES WAS HYPOCRITE WHEN IT CAME TO CARING FOR THE CHILDREN AND SCHOOLS OF FBCH, HIS HONESTY
REGARDING THE MONEY OF FBCH, HIS PREACHING AGAINST BIBLE BELIEVERS, HIS PREACHING ON CHURCH DISCIPLINE, HIS PREACHING ON NOT GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF EVIL, AND THE CHILD-RAISING OF HIS OWN SON.
Hyles boldly preached that he cared for the children of FBCH and the schools that were under his church. His words were inconsistent with what he actually did. Hyles could afford lavish gifts given to men who visited FBCH and could afford to send out multitudes to eat at local restaurants when a delegation visited the church. Hyles would hold lavish “parties” for the Hyles-Anderson College girls and one of these “parties” cost $14,000. Hyles could afford to buy all these houses for all of the pastors and “upper management” staff.” He showered other preachers, who came in to speak, with expensive gifts, like a new car to John Rice, but could not afford copy paper for the school, could not afford new books for the kids in school, could not afford carpeting, gym equipment, school supplies, and worse, could not pay the teachers enough to prevent them from having to work two jobs.
Hyles told FBCH how “open” he is with his handling of the money in the church, yet he was clearly not open, but very secretive with the money that came in through Hyles Publications, a ministry that was under the nonprofit umbrella of FBCH, and he didn’t even reveal this to the membership. He did with the income of this organization as he pleased. Not a single deacon or even the Treasurer of the deacon board knew about the income of Hyles Publications. He kept men who should be responsible in the dark. He said he’s transparent about money, but very few know anything about the income or the dispersals of Hyles Publications (or First Baptist Church).
Hyles said he would never criticize another Bible-believer and was so adamant about speaking evil of another person. He would say “if you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen,” but when it came to people who questioned him or accused him of wrongdoing, he then preached sermons using evil words about these people like Sumner, about Nischik, about Godfrey, and about Handford. He would preach for years about how evil it was to gossip and then turn around to gossip and repeat matters said in private for the world to hear.
Hyles could get upset at teens necking and college students dating off campus and threaten them with expulsion from the college, but not get upset about the moral failure of pastors around the country and work to restore them to a pulpit. Hyles wrote advice to married couples about marriage and admonish men and women to be careful around the opposite sex so that there is not appearance of evil, and then refuse to follow that exact advice, even when urged by men in his church to close up the inner door between his office and Jennie Nischik’s office.
Hyles would have books on how to raise children. Hyles shared stories of the things he’d done to insure he raised Dave right and the quality time he spent with Dave and how Dave was devoted to his father and adored him. He’d preach sermons about “raising up a child in the way he should go,” and had told the members to give their children to him, to trust him, and that he knew best about raising kids. He made people believe Dave Hyles was great spiritually. Yet Dave was immoral and became a serial adulterer even from the time he hit puberty according to his first wife Paula.
According to Linda “Hyle” Murphrey, Jack Hyles’ daughter, Hyles “lived a double life, one of a righteous family man and dynamic speaker in the public eye. The other of sorted sexual secrets privately, secrets that only his close family knew. She said that she was tortured by the hypocrisy.
There is a video clip that you can watch of Jack Hyles preaching. In this clip, you can see him brag that at 73 years old, he is starting a $4 million dollar building program, that he just bought a charismatic church, that he just bought a hotel, that he just bought a vacant lot, and is about to start 2 more schools. Yet when you listen to the next video clip, you can hear Hyles in a promo video about HAC, that there school “barely pays the bills,” that they only have enough money to survive. Even Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, Jack’s own daughter, said that Jack Hyles died a multimillionaire. He also had millions of dollars coming in from Hyles Publications, yet he lied in his own promo for HAC that their school “barely pays the bills.”
Hyles ruled with reckless and heedless disregard for the rights and feelings and dignity of the people. He has covered sin and let sin reign to the shame of Christ and of Christians. He has failed to turn the wicked from his sin, failed to warn of sin, failed to rebuke his own, and failed to rebuke his officers. He has ignored known sin, even the vilest of sin.
A former student who went through the FBCH school system and was a student at HAC said, “my first hand knowledge of SO MANY discrepancies in the teachings vs. [practice] had caused me great confusion, frustration, and turmoil.” Another former student who graduated Hammond Baptist High School and attended Hyles-Anderson College said that “FBC was a cesspool of hypocrisy and I’m glad I got out.” Another former student of HAC admitted “As a young man I read the New Testament extensively and faithfully. And I could see absolutely no correspondence between the attitudes of these men and the attitudes of Scripture. I left. I was called arrogant by some. ‘You don’t really believe you know better than these men of God, do you?’ My answer is still the same today: ‘I don’t, but I know what God’s Word says.'” Someone who grew up under one of Hyles’ disciples said “I’m NOT surprised that Hyles was portrayed as bad as some of his proteges. Rabid legalistic judgmental fundamentalism with a minor in hypocrisy was/were the order of the day in the mid-1970s and I haven’t seen it change at all in the new millennium.”
(Voyle Glover p 59, 63-64, 110, 152, 303-304, 307, 313, 320, 324 – 325, 327, 432, 442- 444; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey 4:00, 7:57, 8:27; Video Clip of Hyles Hypocrisy 5:02-5:49; Testimonies of 3 former HAC students 1/6/99, 12/15/00, 11/8/05 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction – Testimony of a man that grew up under one of Hyles’ disciples December 2, 2002 by “A Customer”
2. SOME QUOTES FROM HYLES SERMONS THAT ILLUSTRATE THAT HE DID NOT LIVE AS HE PREACHED.
– “If you would cram this filthy, rotten trash down the innocent minds of these little boys and girls, you ought to be in the penitentiary!…” – Sermon: “What’s Behind the Sex Education in the Public Schools,” preached on 5-31-1969. (Voyle Glover p 108)
– “Now, you go ahead and let your kids go to the devil if you want to, but I’m gonna fight for mine when they get in the battle, and I’m gonna fight for every kid in this church!” – Sermon: “Covenant of Salt,” preached at Pastor’s School in 1972. (Voyle Glover p 153)
– “If you are a deacon in First Baptist Church Hammond and you’re gonna sip your cocktails, and if you’re gonna go to your movies and go to your nightclubs…then you just turn your resignation into the deacon board before you leave tonight.” – Sermon: “No,” preached 6-1-1975. (Voyle Glover p 271)
– “Some of you deacons–layin’ at home on a Sunday night while the preacher’s preaching. You’re not fit to be a deacon in a Baptist church.” – Sermon: “This Is Not Your Rest,” preached 1-13-1979. (Voyle Glover p 271)
JACK HYLES’ PHILOSOPHY THAT FAMILIES SHOULD PUT “MINISTRY” FIRST BEFORE TAKING CARE OF THEIR SPOUSES AND CHILDREN, EVENTUALLY RUINED FAMILIES
Hyles’ philosophy caused men to virtually abandon their wives and families. Marriages dissolved, friend’s lives were wrecked, and as the children grew, they were rapidly moving spiritually away from the church and from God. Families suffered, all because the ministry came first and family second. Stories that Hyles would tell of himself may have motivated hundreds to work themselves into states of exhaustion. Mothers would throw themselves into church ministry work and soul winning, giving their all to Jesus, and in the process, abandoning their own kids. Why didn’t Hyles preach to the women that the virtuous woman is one “looking well to the ways of her household”? Instead the women got a message of knock yourself out for Jesus and abandon your family for the work of God and work well, work sick, but always work for the Lord. Working in the home, caring for the family was not preached by Hyles as being the work of God.
Hyles shared a story of a staff member who was injured rather severely and was in tremendous pain. Instead of staying home to assist her husband, to help him and care for him, and to insure that he was all right, his wife, also a staff member, left her husband at home “for the Lord’s work.” At a soul- winning club at FBCH, a woman recalls being taught that if a lady was having problems in her marriage, that if she’d just come to soul winning every Saturday, her problems would be taken care of by God. This philosophy was also taught by Hyles. Many mothers have hurt their family by smirking her responsibilities as a mother and wife and even stretched her endurance beyond her limits. Husbands and fathers were taught to make sacrifices that would make him absent from his family day and night, seven days a week, for months and years.
A graduate of HAC recounts that “the demands and hours of service were absolutely crazy. The real ‘spiritual’ students were praised for giving their entire lives for ridiculous schedules. Some were often physically ill because of the demands. Where was family life? No wonder so many were falling into immorality.” Another HAC grade recalls the crazy schedule of her husband that her family had to endure. She said, “My poor husband got only 3 to 4 hours sleep at night during the week while going to night college. I say college loosely, as his classes all consisted on how to build a church just like Jack Hyles, and the required readings were all Hyles’ books or books by faculty extolling Hyles. Every night he was told how stupid he was, and lazy he was, and wicked he was, and his only salvation was this college and learning how to model himself after the great and wonderful Jack. Then came the weekend, but if I thought I’d actually get to see my husband, I had another thing in store for me. We were told the Sailor ministry (at Great Lakes Naval Training Center] was more “family-friendly” than the bus ministry because we all could participate together. All that meant was that our whole family was required to be their indentured servants. My husband left for the base at six in the morning, and I didn’t see him again until four in the afternoon, when he would pass by me in line as I helped serve the meal we had prepared for 100 men. Then he was off again until midnight when he would return with five to ten men (sailors) who I would have a meal waiting for. Then they would all shower and we would make them a bed on our floors and lock ourselves and our children into our bedroom, then up the next morning at five to make the sailors a ‘home-cooked breakfast.’ Then a full day of preaching and feeding the sailors again at our ministry base. If you ever missed a week you were told you didn’t love your sailors and wanted them all to go to Hell. There were weeks that our children only saw their dad for a few hours on Friday nights. It’s amazing that they didn’t seem to care if we loved our children enough to spend some time with them to keep them out of Hell, no wonder MOST of the faculty and staff kids ended up ‘rebelling’ and leaving the place.”
(Voyle Glover p 39, 93, 135-136, 158; Testimonies of 2 HAC graduates 10/9/00, 1/2005 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
JACK HYLES’ METHOD OF SOUL –
WINNING, WITH HIS VIEW ON REPENTANCE AND “QUICK PRAYERISM,” IS FRAUDULENT AND DAMAGING TO THE CAUSE OF CHRIST .
1. HYLES BELIEVED AND TAUGHT A FALSE VIEW OF REPENTANCE, VIEWING IT AS THE SAME AS BELIEF.
Jack Hyles taught that an unsaved person does not have to repent to be saved. He viewed repentance as the same as belief, that the only thing that you have to repent of is unbelief. The Bible is clear that repentance and faith are two different things with both being necessary for Salvation (Mark 1:15, Acts 20:21, Hebrews 6:1). Repentance is a true change of heart through “godly sorrow” (2 Cor.2:17). Repentance is also a turning away from sin, darkness, and the power of Satan, and turning to God (Ezekiel 18:30, Acts 26:18-20, 1 Thess. 1:9, Revelation 2:21, 9:20-21, 16:11) . True Repentance always has fruit/works following after it, with a truly saved individual having a change of life (Matthew 3:8, 21:29, Acts 2:38-42, 26:20). Hyles taught against the biblical view of repentance, making it out to be more of an intellectual agreement of the Roman’s Road, rather than a true heart change about sin and God. As a result, multitudes of people who were led in a prayer from a soul-winner, who used Hyles’ fraudulent method of soul-winning, may have had false conversions. These people who went through the prayer in this way, may never come to true salvation, apart from the grace of God, because they may always believe that because they prayed a prayer, that they’re forever saved, while they are living without a true change of heart to the things of God. Unfortunately many of these people have not experienced miraculous regeneration and a new birth in Christ.
The following is Hyles’ view on repentance from his book, “Enemies of Soul-Winning” from chapter 4: “What makes the wrath of God abide on a person? Believing not! So, from what must a person repent in order to be saved? He must repent of that which makes him lost. Since ‘believing not’ makes him lost, ‘believing’ makes him saved. The repentance there is a turning from the thing that keeps him from being saved to the thing that saves him. So, yes, there is a repentance from unbelief in order to believe. It is simply a change in direction. It means a turning around. You are going away from believing, and you decide to turn around and believe. You change your direction; you change your mind. With your will you believe and rely upon Christ to save you. In order to believe, you have to repent of unbelief. That which makes a man lost must be corrected.”
One person who was an eyewitness to Hyles’ bus ministry said “It is certain that Hyles-Anderson, for a long period of time, did teach the heresy that repentance is not part of the gospel, and many of their graduates have left there and taught this false gospel.”
2. HYLES WOULD USE THE FRADULENT “QUICK PRAYERISM” METHOD TO GET MANY “PROFESSIONS OF FAITH.” THIS METHOD WOULD PRODUCE MANY FALSE CONVERSIONS THAT SHOWED NO EVIDENCE OF LIFE CHANGE.
David Cloud reported that Hyles taught Quick Prayerism manipulation in his widely-used and broadly imitated soul-winning course. Quick Prayerism incorporates psychological salesmanship manipulation. In Quick Prayerism, an empty “sinner’s prayer” typically replaces Holy Spirit conviction and miraculous regeneration. It’s called “prayerism” because it focuses on a prayer. It’s called “quick prayerism” because it specializes in quick presentations and quick decisions and an overall lack of spiritual and biblical depth. Jack Hyles was one of the greatest promoters of Quick Prayerism. He boasted that three-quarters of a million people have been saved over the years at FBCH. If three-quarters of a million people had actually been saved at First Baptist over the years of Hyles’ pastorate, that entire region would have been dramatically affected. But most of the numbers were empty professions as explained by Paul in Titus 1:16, “They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.” The sad fruit of Quick Prayerism result in multitudes of false professions, false hopes, confusion about the nature of salvation, indifference to biblical truth and reprobate living.
Many eyewitnesses have reported that the many false “professions of faith” have been made as a result of Hyles’ fraudulent method of evangelism. One person, who was raised at FBCH and was a student at HAC, said, “I tremble to think of the times that I stood on people’s doorsteps and led them through a meaningless prayer and assured them that ‘That’s all there is to it — see you in heaven!’ and then walked away from a person who was AS clueless after my visit as they were before.”
A former student of Hyles’ schools with family very involved in FBCH said, “They are responsible for the encouragement of an easy, repeat-after-me type of ‘salvation’ that is mostly for the purpose of claiming inflated numbers of members while leaving the ‘convert’ with no idea of what he’s done, or even worse, the idea that he is just fine and ‘Heaven-bound’ because he prayed some prayer after a desperate college student needing to claim the numbers.”
A “convert” to Jack Hyles bus ministry in 1981 recalled, “I was in the Navy stationed at Great Lakes NTC, when approached by two men from Hyles’ Church. They ‘whizzed’ me through the Scriptures, and kept asking, ‘do you believe’? I said yes out of politeness, but it was all so fast. It seemed like we went through the salvation plan in less then three minutes, then all the sudden we were praying and I was told I was going to go to Heaven. Wow! I felt like I had been dragged to salvation. I had no clue what I had just agreed to! I even went to the church and was baptized that Sunday, I don’t even remember saying or agreeing I should do this, but I found myself in this long line of men being baptized. I remember saying to myself, you better get baptized, and you would not want to hurt anyone’s feelings. It was all at a very manic pace.”
Another HAC graduate reported that “Some of us truly tried to present the Gospel clearly, but we had nowhere near the numbers the ‘big boys’ did. If the Hyles and Grays and Neals and all the others who are having ‘thousands saved,’ presented salvation as a complete change of life, you know what the results would be. When I sat in the auditorium in Hammond for seven years (2 degrees), I hardly ever saw anyone coming regularly who looked [or acted] like they were newly saved people… if they were having 15-20,000 baptisms a year (that wasn’t so either, but that’s another story) and only 1% were real and began attending, they would have needed to add seating for another 500 people every 3 years or so. It never happened… I think I would rather stand before God with a few truly saved from my labors than a multitude pointing the finger at me for confirming them in their unbelief.”
In 1980, a Hyles- Anderson student in his church obtained roughly 1,000 decision cards from First Baptist’s visitation ministry. They diligently followed up on these individuals but were extremely disappointed to find that not even one was interested in the things of Christ.
3. HYLES WOULD USE FRAUDULENT METHODS TO INCREASE THE NUMBER OF “SOULS SAVED”.
Jerry Kaifetz recounts when he was an integral part of Hyles’ “Big Days.” He said that Hyles’ would cook the numbers of “won” souls over and over again. He recalls being instructed on several occasions to go into the projects and fill the buses with little black boys and girls whom he was told explicitly to never bring into the church auditorium. They were told to preach to them on the buses and to drive them down the alley behind the church so that they could count their “professions of faith” since “they were made on church property.” This was what Hyles told them to do over and over.
A graduate of HAC and the seminary said that “I ‘won’ more souls there than anyone in my time there. I was awarded ‘The Sword of the Lord Award for Evangelism’ in recognition of my ‘numbers.’ (They were in the thousands.) I taught ‘soul winning’ in Pastor’s School. Jack Hyles would say and do anything to validate his ministry and his massive ego. Numbers were ALL that mattered to him. I have seen buses full of black children who, while not being allowed in the bus ministry, were driven down the alley behind the church, told to repeat a prayer, and counted as ‘souls won on church property’ during big days. It was a disgraceful practice! In all my years in Hyles’ church I was NEVER able to find ONE person whom Jack Hyles personally led to the Lord, even in his own fraudulent way. He was big on sending others, but he himself NEVER went!”
Another witness saw firsthand instances where people from Hyles’ school “would come to where we had bus kids go through the entire area, gimmick them to a Saturday “church party,” and baptize them all to count them as ‘saved.’…There was one time that they did this in a project we picked kids up in, and they baptized practically everyone, except for one kid who we picked up regularly. We asked this kid why he did not get baptized, and he told us that they had baptized him twice already, and he did not want to be baptized again. He did not understand the gospel, either, so he was not born again.”
4. HYLES WAS A GREAT BOASTER REGARDING THE NUMBER OF “SOUL’S SAVED” UNDER HIS MINISTRY.
David Cloud reported that Hyles repeatedly boasted about the numbers of people that were saved from his ministry. He claimed that more people were saved (15,000) in his church on May 3, 1998 than “at any church in the history of Christianity.” If this was truly the case that this many people were saved, Hyles’ church would have increased dramatically, but nothing like that happened. Hyles also liked to make a big show of what his soul-winning efforts would do in the future. He made the following announcement regarding the 1993 meeting: “The largest gathering of Independent, Fundamental Baptists in the history of America will take place Thursday Evening, March 18, 1993… I plan to have the largest Independent, Fundamental Baptist choir in history to fill our hearts with music. I plan to have the largest baptismal service in the history of Independent, Fundamental Baptists in America, with five baptistries being used at the same time. Each delegate will receive a picture of this historic gathering and a souvenir with which to remember this amazing service. This is a once-in -a-lifetime opportunity — do not miss it!… There has been nothing like it in the past; perhaps there will be nothing like it in the future. Pastors’ School begins Monday, March 15, and closes with this gigantic, super colossal historic gathering on March 18.”
Boasting about numbers is such a serious sin, because of man’s vanity, that God judged David when he set out to number Israel’s armies (2 Samuel 24:3-17) . Bragging about numbers is very much alive and well among Hyles’ fans. Bob Gray, Sr, the author of “When Principle Was King: The Life Principles of Dr. Jack Hyles,” was featured at a Bible conference in April 2012 at Faith Baptist Church, Oak Creek, WI. One of the statements in an advertisement for this conference reads: “There is not a man alive who has personally won more souls to Christ than Dr. Bob Gray, Sr. He has been in the ministry for 39 years and daily wins souls. Last year he personally led 404 folks to Christ with 107 of those following the Lord in baptism. He has been used of God to see 1,116,887 souls come to Christ while pastoring the Longview Baptist Temple of Longview, Texas. It grew from a low of 159 to averaging 2,047 the last year he pastored, with his high days of 10,000.” To win 1.1 million souls over a 39 year period would require leading 77 people a day to Christ which would require witnessing to how many people per day? 200? 300? Yet the church’s Sunday School attendance averaged 2,000 rather than a million or even 200,000, and we wonder what the Wednesday evening attendance averaged? The million dollar question is this: where are all of those souls? The truth is that those statistics are devoid of spirituality reality, and the bragging is sin.
The following link is a promo video of the soul-winning clubs at FBCH. In it you will hear how much emphasis and focus was given to the numbers and how important it was to reach high numbers. Rewards were given to those who reached certain numbers, even a gold ring. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZWv0o7E3-Q 7:05-8:17, 10:04-11:50).
(Jerry Kaifetz p 78; Testimony of a student of FBCH schools and of HAC, a graduate of HAC and the seminary, a HAC Graduate, a witness to the FBCH bus ministry, a “convert” of FBCH, 1/6/99, 9/23/02, 9/23/02, 11/3/02 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction December 30, 2012 by Tara Lohman; “The Hyles Effect” by David Cloud p 78-86 – Dr. Jack Hyles “Enemies of Soulwinning” Chapter 4; “Repentance and Soulwinning” by David Cloud p 16-17)
JACK HYLES TAUGHT MANY FALSE DOCTRINES, MANY WHICH BELITTLED SIN .
Paula “Hyles” Polonco, Dave Hyles’ first wife, said that Jack Hyles promoted heresy. His heresy scared her more than anything Hyles did. Jerry Kaifetz recounted how Hyles mocked expository preaching (verse-by-verse) often. He was a devotional preacher. His messages were biblical only in a thematic sense. He never constantly put chunks of biblical meat on anyone’s plate. He sprinkled artificial meat flavor on things he had concocted and he became a master at disguising those concoctions as meat. Hyles repeatedly says in his many sermons, “Now this is something new, this is something that you’ve probably never heard before.” Only cults use that kind of language. Only someone with false teachings is going to give you something new. One woman who was raised at FBCH and attended
HAC said, “There is no spiritual growth in that congregation or student body resulting from the teaching of or study of God’s word… My husband and I are often amused that (in our opinion) God took us out of “church” to get us into church.”
Hyles talked about praying to his dead mother. He clearly espoused the Catholic doctrine of praying for the dead. In a sermon on February 7, 1988 entitled “Full Reward,” he said that he believed that his efforts on Christ’s behalf would give God a reason to be easier on his father Athie Hyles, whom he believed was in hell. Hyles preached that soul-winning covers all sins. He believed God forgives your personal sins when you fill up the bus and get souls saved.
Hyles taught the eternal humanity of Jesus (a Mormon doctrine). He believes that Jesus was a human at and before the creation of mankind. According to him, Jesus has always been human before the universe was created. (You can hear the actual teaching from Jack Hyles in an 11 minute audio clip of him preaching this. The people in the congregation of FBCH were amening his teaching throughout this sermon). When Jack Hyles was questioned about this, he defended himself by saying it was the slip of the tongue, that he didn’t actually teach this. But clearly in this 11 minute clip, it is very clear that this is what he taught. http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=7100392416 (starting at 59:00)
Hyles preached on May 26, 1985 entitled “Helpless God,” that God was helpless in doing his work without man. He believed that you cannot do God’s work without God, and God cannot do his work without man. He is quoted as saying that Diety is helpless in the work and redemption without humanity. Jesus did not become the God/man when he came to earth, he has always been the God/man. He continued to preach, “If I were God’s pastor I would remind him and say, God you need man.”
In the sermon, “Thank you Adam,” Hyles preached the theme of thanking Adam for sinning. God knew that evil resulting from the former was not as much as the good resulting from the later. God knew that man would gain more than he would lose because of his sin. Hyles was quoted in saying “Thank you Adam for bringing sin upon us. Thank you Adam for adultery, thank you Adam for homosexuality, Thank you Adam for murder, Thank you Adam for rape.”
Hyles preached that backsliding is a necessary part of spiritual growth. Hyles points out that God makes you sin for good because if you continued without sinning, you’d get too prideful.
Hyles preached that the bad backslider is no worse than the good backslider. Backsliding does not depend on how much liquor you’re drinking, your backsliding depends on one thing: are you actively doing the things you were made to do. Whether the doctor is sleeping in the next room or is out in a tavern doesn’t matter, he’s not doing any good for the patient. The bad backslider is not measured by what he does that is wrong, but what he does that is right. It doesn’t matter if you’re drunk, it doesn’t matter if you are committing adultery, it matters that you’re not soul- winning. The worst part about reading a Playboy magazine is the fact that you are not reading the Bible. The one in deep sin is no different than the one who has a cold heart. (It’s as if Hyles is saying that God is just as close to the person who is living an immoral, drunk lifestyle than one who didn’t pray last night.)
Hyles preached a sermon entitled “How to increase God’s patience.” He said why would one man commit adultery and be used again by God like David and another man commit the same sin and not be used by God again? God used Samson where he did not use others because of “consecration.” Now he stumbled and fell and got up again. Samson was valuable to God. Samson was so dedicated to God that when he made some stupid mistake (adultery), God said I need the fella too much to put him on the shelf. He’s doing too much good to forfeit his chances to serve me for one little bad thing. God’s degree of patience with you when you stumble is determined by how fast you are running. Your chance at a second chance will depend on what you did with your first chance. In our school we have a system of demerits, but we also have merits. God has demerits and he also has merits. (Jack Hyles is preaching in this subtle way that as long as you have done many good acts for God, you can get away with sins like adultery. This was preached to a house full of preachers in Denver and there were so many amens throughout it.)
Hyles preached at a recent pastor’s school that a man wants to be loved by his wife just as a man loves and treats others. Hyles
called this “mental homosexuality.” He even taught this in one of his books.
During Pastor’s school in 1981, Hyles preached a sermon how a young girls body is like the holy temple. He put a young girl, named Arlene, on display during the sermon as a visual aid, He talked about the high priest entering the holy temple. He said to her, “Arlene your very touchable to a young man…” He then stated to the delegates, “I can see why 100 young men want to touch her, couldn’t you.” You can actually hear the audio of this part of his sermon here: http://vimeo.com/64954749 (starting at 8:20)
(Jerry Kaifetz p 58, 79; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 40:22, 58:20, 59:00, 1:15:00: 1:16:50, 1:18:45, 1:19:10, 1:21:23, 1:26:00, 1:44:45; Paula “Hyles” Polonco Audio Interview Part 3 2:37; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 8:20; Testimony of a Former HAC student 1/6/99 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”)
MANY EYEWITNESSES BELIEVE THAT FBCH/HAC IS A CULT AND THAT JACK HYLES WAS A CULT LEADER .
Jack Hyles used very sophisticated psychological warfare on the church members. Hyles was able to exercise crowd control with textbook perfection in its operation. He used word and concept associations that were sophisticated psychological techniques. He was a great manipulator of people. He used people to build ministry contrary to his assertions that he used his ministry to build people. In the church, there were abuses, lies, hypocrisy, and spiritual elitism practiced by those who wore the list of standards around their person like a robe of righteousness and continued to be held in high esteem, bragged on from the pulpit, and spoken of as great Christians.
The people in FBCH/HAC are mind controlled and are followers who exercise blind loyalty to Hyles. It is believed by several of these eyewitnesses that if Hyles told his staff to commit suicide, that they would commit suicide without a doubt. You can hear an audio clip of Hyles preaching a sermon in 1990 on loyalty and gave a deacon a bottle of poison to drink with a skull and crossbones label on it. The deacon agreed to drink it in the illustration to show his loyalty to his pastor. http://vimeo.com/64954749 (starting at 23:47)
Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, Jack Hyles’ daughter, considered her father a cult leader. She believes that FBCH is a “50,000 member cult” which still operates under the guise of an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. She said that followers who have tried to leave have recognized that FBCH is clearly a cult, and every member was in complete obedience to Jack Hyles and didn’t dare disagree with him or be disloyal for fear of being publicly ridiculed, punished, or banished. She was disturbed by the mind control over thousands and thousands of people. She cut ties with the brainwashing, oppression, fear, and secrets and walked away when she was 28 years old.
Even Paula “Hyles” Polonco, Dave Hyles’ wife, believes that members of FBCH are so brainwashed. She knew that she was brainwashed as she remembers her time in the church. She even said that members are so influenced by Hyles that they would believe that if Jack Hyles told them that he was black, they would believe it.
A graduate of HAC and a former teacher on the faculty at the college said, “The best thing that ever happened to me, after being saved, was being delivered from the cult -like mentality of Jack Hyles… and the college has “disowned” me. Another graduate from HAC and former teacher at Miller Road Baptist in Texas where Dave Hyles had once pastored said, “The Hyles family is one of the worst things that has ever happened to Christianity. The “doctrines” they have taught are nothing more than man-made ideas that confuse and mislead people… I am convinced they have brainwashed thousands of people.” A former student of HAC recalled thinking at the time, “I was it spiritually. This was THE place God was working. It caused a great deal of spiritual pride and, eventually, great confusion and disillusionment!… It is a personality cult of one man who has complete control of thousands of followers. People start to shut off their thinking when the red flags keep happening.” Another witness said, “I am completely convinced, now in hind sight, that Jack Hyles actually hated the Word of God and true men of God.” Another witness proclaimed of FBCH, “There is only one word to describe that place — CULT! If not one of the sexual scandals or monetary escapades was true, what that place does on a day to day basis, to all those unfortunate enough to have fallen into their way, is enough to shut their doors forever.” Another person who went to FBCH and read many of Hyles’ books said, “several of my friends have had their lives messed up by this CULT… An all that I found was self-righteousness.”
Another former student of HAC, who also had family very involved in FBCH reviewed the book Fundamental Seduction and said, “This book is worth reading, especially for those who still believe to this day that Jack Hyles was a man of God, rather than the truth, which was that at some point his pride led him down the road to creating a cult that has been responsible for an unbelievable amount of abuse and damage to the lives of others… the average person cannot imagine that corruption of this system and so many other churches spawned from it… Hyles was a phony who did untold damage to untold numbers of people, and unfortunately, he is still fooling people, many of them good people, long after his death.” Another reviewer of “Fundamental Seduction” said, “Excellent in revealing the truth. How do I know? Because I attended the church / school / activities for years and slowly saw what was happening.” A former member of FBCH and graduate of HAC and Hyles-Anderson Seminary reviewed this book and said, “This book validated for me the intensively cultic, manipulative and controlling nature of these institutions. It also combined with what I had seen up close to convoke me of the rank hypocrisy of the leadership’s moral latitude and executive privilege in standard of behavior they rigorously imposed upon others.” Yet another reviewer posted “we’re now into the second and third generations of pastors across the country that were formed under this arrogant, deceptive, self-aggrandizing leader – and countless people, families and marriages have been wounded in an abusive system that’s only getting worse as it’s gotten bigger and spread further.”
(Voyle Glover p 86, 93- 94; Pastor Roger Voegltin Sermon Audio 1:48:50, 1:50,00; Linda “Hyles” Murphrey Video Testimony 1:55, 2:50, 3:15, 3:30, 8:27 Paula “Hyles” Polonco Audio Interview Part 2 2:40; News Investigation Video: Preying from the Pulpit 23:47; Testimony of a graduate and teacher at HAC, a graduate of HAC and teacher at Miller Road Baptist Church, a graduate of HAC, and 2 witnesses at FBCH, 8/31/98, 1/7/00, 10/9/00, 11/3/01, 1/2005 “rapid net.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/hyles/testim.htm”; Amazon Book Reviews: Fundamental Seduction – Testimony of an attender of FBCH , a former student of HAC, a former member and student of FBCH and HAC, a former member/graduate of FBCH, HAC and the Seminary, and another witness March 12, 2003 by Robert Meredith, December 30, 2012 by Tara Lohman, October 27, 1999 by “A Customer ,” December 29, 2012 by Jerry K, and January, 2013 by cdspeak)
JACK SCHAAP CONTINUED THE CORRUPT LEGACY THAT JACK HYLES LEFT . HE SEXUALIZED HIS SERMONS AND BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATIONS, PREACHED FALSE DOCTRINE, AND SEDUCED A 16-YEAR – OLD GIRL BY USING HIS SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY AND HER BLIND LOYALTY .
1. SCHAAP PERPETUATED THE SAME LEGACY THAT JACK HYLES DID.
Jack Hyles’ daughter, Linda “Hyles” Murphrey, confirms that Jack Schaap perpetuated Hyles’ legacy, the strict rules, the undying loyalty, and that Schaap still tried to keep all the secrets of Hyles. A once close friend of Schaap, Jerry Kaifetz, said that Jack Schaap elevated himself weekly from the pulpit beyond what should have been tolerable for any Christian to hear. Schaap was also repeatedly desperate from the pulpit to raise money for a monument to himself, which was the new auditorium. Schaap jokingly talked about prostituting his wife to raise money for the new auditorium. He announced that if he thought it would help, he would “send my wife up to the South Side of Chicago in a miniskirt and a fur coat in the back seat of a Cadillac to raise the money.” Schapp also turned a blind eye to the gross immoral sins of Jack Hyles’ son, Dave Hyles, and honored Dave even with all the scandals that broke out through the years. Kaifetz recalled that when Dave Hyles returned to FBCH after having devastating two churches with his serial adulteries, he received a standing ovation from the congregation. Jerry Kaifetz turned to see if Jack Schaap and his wife were standing and applauding Dave. “They were! My heart sank.”
Schaap continued to preach the message that it is a sin to criticize anyone. He preached to Hyles-Anderson College students, “I don’t want anybody in this ministry to speak evil of any man. What they say about us or about you or any man, let’s not worry about that. Let us worry about what comes out of our mouths… If this church controls its mouth then maybe God can look at our ministry and say, ‘Well, at least there’s one church that’s keeping their mouth on the Good News.”
Schaap was also mean to his subordinates. They described him as vicious, demeaning, berating, and humiliating. Schaap, on a regular basis, severely criticized men older than himself in staff meetings before their friends and peers. These dress down sessions were often laced with tirades of vulgarity that would make locker room banter seem mild by comparison.
2. SCHAAP WRONGFULLY AND PROFANELY SEXUALIZED BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATIONS.
Jerry Kaifetz also said that Jack Schaap was vulgar beyond description in staff meetings, and profane in the pulpit. He was obsessed with things sexual to the point that they permeated his life, charged every conversation and his every thought. Kaifetz believed Schaap must have had an appetite for pornography.
Schaap engaged in disturbing and even pathological sexualization of such Bible teachings such as the Lord’s Supper and a Christian’s relationship to the Bible. In Schaap’s book “Marriage: The Divine Intimacy,” he interprets David’s verb “laid” in Psalm 119:30, “Thy judgements have I laid before me,” as follows: “That word ‘laid’ is a sexual term which literally means the same as a man laying with a woman.” The Hebrew word of “laid” does not mean this even in the slightest. Schaap goes on to also sexualize another phrase that follows Psalm 119: “I have stuck to thy testimonies.” In his own words from the same book: “The word ‘stuck’ means the act of a man entering his wife; it is sexual intercourse.” He is completely wrong once again. Schaap is also on record as calling the Lord’s Supper “spiritual intercourse.”
He goes on in his book to say, “…The person who deeply loves Christ understands that when he receives Christ as Savior it is spiritual intercourse. A person receives the body of Christ. A Christian is the female gender in this spiritual realm and God is the male gender of the spiritual realm. When a person receives Christ as Saviour he is receiving Christ as lover… Nothing symbolizes more of what God has with the believer like romantic, intimate, physical intimacies between husband and wife. The wife receives her husband’s body…”
In the sermon he preached titled “A Polished Shaft,” Schaap was literally masturbating with a stick of wood as an illustration in this infamous sermon. Not one of the deacons or any member stopped this display of vulgarity. Fathers didn’t take their daughters or children out of the building where pornography was on display from the pulpit. Here is the actual video of this part in his sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr0UpQXYkGs
3. SCHAAP PREACHED THE FALSE DOCTRINE THAT GOD HATES THE WORLD AND DOESN’T WANT TO RECONCILE WITH MANKIND.
Schaap preached the sermon, “For Christ’s Sake,” in 2005 at the Reformers Unanimous National Conference and at Pastors’ School. He also wrote the book with the same title. He said in both the sermon and book, “God absolutely does not want to work with mankind. He does not want to reconcile with those He created… God says to the world, ‘I am going to kill you! No, I believe I will kill you twice!’… God makes no personal house calls because if God saw you. He would kill you. He is that wrathful… God hates man and does not want to reconcile him and wants to destroy man, and the only reason that God doesn’t destroy man is because Jesus begs to attempt a settlement between God and man. Jesus says, ‘If I can arrange a contractual agreement where man agrees quietly and honestly that you are right and he is wrong, that he did the sinning and you were holy, I will put my life on the line. If I can’t arrange a reconciliation, then send them to hell, but if they agree that they are wrong, would you forgive them?’ God answered, ‘Only for your sake.’ Jesus said, ‘I’ll make it happen.’ … When Jesus went back to heaven, God the Father said, ‘Well what happened? Did they accept your proposal? Were you able to negotiate a contract? Is there reconciliation?’ ‘Well, it’s like this,’ Jesus ventured. ‘I went to the most promising people [to propose the reconciliation]. … They made fun of you. They put me on the cross! They stripped me naked. They blasphemed Your Holy name! They are despicable creatures! Send them to Hell, Father! … I suggest that we mark a date on our calendar, and on that date we burn the earth to ashes including every idol; every coin; every dollar bill; every temple; every human being; every grave; every crypt; and every blasphemous, ungodly, perverted, lying human being. Kill them! Burn them!’ The Father took out His pen, looked at His calendar for eternity, and said, ‘So ordered! The day of judgment is set!'”
R. B. Oullette preached in part of his sermon that he had confronted Jack Schaap in a letter about what he preached regarding God’s hatred for the world. He believed it was dishonoring to God and had “doctrinal flaws.” Schaap responded to him telling him that it was none of his business and that he and Oullette are too old to change. Oullette invited people to show him doctrinal flaws if anything he taught was opposed to the Bible. But he couldn’t say the same about Jack Schaap’s attitude. You can hear this part in his sermon here:
4. SCHAAP USED HIS SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY TO PREY ON THE BLIND LOYALTY OF A 16-YEAR-OLD GIRL, TO SEDUCE HER BY USING JESUS CHRIST AS THE ONE WHO WAS GIVING APPROVAL TO THEIR SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP. HE EVEN SAID TO HER THAT SLEEPING WITH HIM WAS PART OF HER PERSONAL SALVATION.
When Jack Schaap was having sex with a 16-year-old girl, he tricked employees at FBCH into transporting his victim into Illinois and Michigan. Schaap made the 16-year -old girl believe that what they were doing was right in God’s eyes. He used his spiritual authority and his (and Hyles) philosophy on the blind loyalty of his followers, to seduce her. She was taught to always obey her pastor because he is God’s representative. When she asked him if it was wrong, he told her no and that she was a precious gift from God. In one of the letters that he wrote to her, he told her that his sexual relationship with her was part of her personal salvation and something Jesus Christ wanted. He told her that Christ wants to marry them and for them to become eternal lovers. In another letter he told her how much she matters to Jesus Christ by spending 3 days with him in Michigan. In the one-month right before he was caught, they discovered 662 text messages between he and her. In order to reduce his sentence, Schaap blamed the girl for being sexually experienced. He branded her as a seductress. He also blamed his attorneys for not getting him a lesser sentence. Does this sound like a man who has truly been repentant of his sins and has taken the blame on himself?
(Jerry Kaifetz p 20-22, 72-75, 80 Linda “Hyles” Murphrey VideoTestimony 8:10; Schaap’s Masturbastion video
; “The Hyles Effect” by David Cloud p 92, 99-100 (“For Christ’s sake,” by Jack Schapp p 8, 12; “Marriage: The Divine Intimacy” by Jack Schapp p 42-43); R.B. Oullette)